ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice needed after divorce.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SoConfused84
Newly Registered

Advice needed after divorce.

Post by SoConfused84 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi y'all. Been a long time since I posted on here. But I figured still the best place to get the information I need.

I am a U.S. Citzen with indefinite leave to remain in the U.K.
My husband was a U.K. citizen.

After three years of marriage my husband decided to have an affair with a girl he met on World Of Warcraft! (Long story for a different forum I am sure).

So he moved in with her and such back in January. I have been trying to stay here on my own, as I have a great job and have amazing friends who have helped me through this difficult time. But recently I have been longing to go home again. The great job I have, has helped my pay my rent/council tax/etc on my own for the past few months, but I do not have any savings unfortunately. So I cannot afford a plane ticket.

After doing some research, I know U.S. Embassy in London can help me get home if needed. But I was wondering if anyone has gone through this process and what exactly happens?
Do they send you straight home...is there a specific time frame?
Do they need confirmation of pending divorce?
Contact from home?

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

And I know I can just ring the spcial consular services, as I have been given their number via email to chat to them. But personal experiences would be great, after all it's another stressful situation and would be nice to know someone has made it through with their sanity intact.

Thanks,

Cassandra

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Although I have no experience of what the US Embassy does, the British Embassy does loan UK citizens money to get home, with guarantees it will be paid back or by taking money from UK based relatives, and this is in the event of life threatening accidents, natural disasters, civil war and so on. Never heard of an Embassy either paying for a ticket if someone is just a bit hard up (borrow from family & friends or sell possessions) or arranging travel in anything except the most incredibly extreme circumstances.

Tickets can cost just a couple of hundred pounds if you are not fussy.

Ring the emergency number, I would be really interested to know what they say. I have US relatives who visit the UK and would like to know the circumstances in which they can expect their flights to be paid for.

SoConfused84
Newly Registered

Post by SoConfused84 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:01 pm

This is what I have found online, plus obviously info on the American Embassy's website.

http://www.governmentgrantsearch.com/po ... ens-abroad

Seems pretty straight forward. Again really, I am after personal experience.

I will definitely be giving them a call later this evening. Will post any info I get as well.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:39 pm

You are not destitute and you do have friends. Good luck though.