ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK passport holders... .EU drivers license quetsion....

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

humble
Newly Registered

UK passport holders... .EU drivers license quetsion....

Post by humble » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:10 pm

out of curiosity, can an EU passport holder apply for a first time drivers license in ANY EU country?

for example, if i hold a UK passport, that lets me live in any EU country and be able to work there as long as i want. but does that also mean i can apply for a drivers license lets say in spain or netherlands or france?

or will i ONLY be able to apply for a license in the UK??

much thanks!

JAJ
Australia

Re: UK passport holders... .EU drivers license quetsion....

Post by JAJ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:14 am

humble wrote:out of curiosity, can an EU passport holder apply for a first time drivers license in ANY EU country?

for example, if i hold a UK passport, that lets me live in any EU country and be able to work there as long as i want. but does that also mean i can apply for a drivers license lets say in spain or netherlands or france?

much thanks!
AIUI you normally need to be resident in a particular EU country to apply for a licence there.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:44 pm

humble wrote:out of curiosity, can an EU passport holder apply for a first time drivers license in ANY EU country?
And out of curiosity too, why would one want to do that?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:51 pm

much thanks!
As far as I know, you can apply in whatever country you're living in as if you were a national of that country.

But are you talking about applying from scratch (i.e. taking lessons if needed and doing a driving test), or are you talking about trying to exchange a non-EU licence for an EU one? (The UK allows that, for example, but I don't believe that the US is on the list of eligible countries, although I stand to be corrected on that.)

L_E_O

Post by L_E_O » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:01 pm

Christophe wrote:<snip> But are you talking about applying from scratch (i.e. taking lessons if needed and doing a driving test), or are you talking about trying to exchange a non-EU licence for an EU one? (The UK allows that, for example, but I don't believe that the US is on the list of eligible countries, although I stand to be corrected on that.)
You are correct, a UK-US driving licence swap is not possible.

humble
Newly Registered

Post by humble » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:45 pm

i plan on checking our europe for a little bit and would like to get a drivers license there as my u.s one is suspended (2 reckless driving and 1 dui... bye bye license for 2 years!!!)

i have a UK passport but its quite possible that ill end up in any EU country.

with that in mind, will i be able to start from scratch in spain or france for example with my UK passport????

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:59 pm

humble wrote:i plan on checking our europe for a little bit and would like to get a drivers license there as my u.s one is suspended (2 reckless driving and 1 dui... bye bye license for 2 years!!!)

i have a UK passport but its quite possible that ill end up in any EU country.

with that in mind, will i be able to start from scratch in spain or france for example with my UK passport????
As far as I know, yes, but you'd have to be 'living there' - I don't know, however, exactly how 'living there' is defined in practice by the authorites that issue driver licenses in those countries. At the very least I imagine that you would have to be able to provide an address that worked, but they might need more evidence. The same would go, of course, for holders of non-EU/EEA passports, and I don't think that being a citizen of an EU country will confer any particular advantages in this regard.

Unless you can swap your current licence you will have to sit a driving test, presumably. And unless you speak French or Spanish (for example) reasonably fluently, the test will be harder in those countries than it would in the UK (or Ireland), where the test would be conducted in English (albeit on the left-hand side of the road, which you won't be used to!).