ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need help

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

M&L
Newly Registered

Need help

Post by M&L » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:49 am

I am tring to contact the HM Revenue & Customs but the links keep sending me to other links and it a real pain to email them, The reason why I want to contact them is this.

I like Photography I been doing it for a few years now and I upgrade and bought my new camera and the lens last year, because I live in China for seven years, now me and my wife will plan to return to the UK next year but I read I have to pay Tax anything over (390 pounds) so do that mean I have too leave my photography camera? and laptop? in China

Can you help? :wink:

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:47 pm

You wont need to pay any tax to bring your camera with you to the UK.

Who says you have to pay tax? :?

M&L
Newly Registered

Post by M&L » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 am

batleykhan wrote:You wont need to pay any tax to bring your camera with you to the UK.

Who says you have to pay tax? :?
I read on the HMRC website.

For other goods brought into the UK by travellers, duty only applies on goods above £270 or £390 (whichever is appropriate) in value. Over this allowance and up to £630 there is a duty flat rate of 2.5 per cent.

My camera with all the gear cost more than £630 the limit and that means's I have to pay duty tax @2.5 per cent unless I read it wrong!

And because I only bought my camera here in China just less than one year ago I am worried I have to pay duty tax,

I also read this:
To qualify for the tax/duty free allowances you also need to meet the following conditions,

•You must transport the goods yourself.
•The goods must be for your own use or as a gift. If the person you give the goods to pays you in any way (including reimbursing you for any expenses), then it's not a gift and you'll have to pay the duty and/or tax.

SO this is why I am confused. do I pay or not because China is outside the EU.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:48 pm

I think this will come down your honesty.

If you declare it yourself personally ,then you would be liable to pay customs duty.

If on the other hand you don't declare and walk through the green Chanel and you are not stopped, then you have got away with it.

I am sure I have seen a lot of people with more expensive items and gadgets come through UK customs without declaring the goods. Personally speaking I think a camera that you are going top use yourself and take back with you is for your own personal use and should be exempt, but then I am not the Tax man.

So it boils down your honesty my friend :wink:

M&L
Newly Registered

Post by M&L » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:19 am

Thank you batleykhan

When I first join this forum I though many members would help me on a few questions I want to be sure of!, But many just reply to the Spouse Visa post.

Anyway I just remember to walk through when I get of the plane.

Bye :D