ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA4 application problem

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Liberal Immigrant

EEA4 application problem

Post by Liberal Immigrant » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:38 pm

Dear all,

My mother-in-law arrived in UK in 2000 & claimed asylum. It was refused & her appeal rights were exhausted.

In 2007, my wife & I immigrated to UK from Ireland & I started working as a Doctor. My wife, also an Irish citizen, is a house-wife. On arrival, we immediately applied for my mother-in-law's EEA2 application showing her as my dependent who lived with me & who was financially dependent on me. The HO's first letter asked for evidence of her relationship with her daughter (my wife). My wife, however, has never had a birth certificate (she was born in 1960's Pakistan...no paperwork back then!). Before we could even respond to the HO letter, we were pleasantly surprised to receive an approval of the EEA2 application & she was granted Residence Permit (in the form of an Immigration Status Document). This was back in February 2007. It was for 5 years.

Now, in Feb 2012, she would have been here in UK as my dependent for 5 years. We therefore want to apply for her EEA4 application. My main problem is:

1. How do I prove she is my wife's mother? (my wife does not have a birth certificate...she s never had 1!). Is there anything else we can send to prove that they are mother & daughter?

Also:

2. When is the earliest I can apply for her EEA4?

3. Once she is granted EEA4, when is the earliest she can apply for Naturalisation? Will she have to go through temporary citizenship etc? She is 67 years of age.

Thanks in advance every1. Would appreciate your assistance.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: EEA4 application problem

Post by Jambo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:04 pm

Liberal Immigrant wrote: 1. How do I prove she is my wife's mother? (my wife does not have a birth certificate...she s never had 1!). Is there anything else we can send to prove that they are mother & daughter?
Did you try contacting the Pakistani embassy in London. Maybe they would be able to produce an official document confirming the relationship?
2. When is the earliest I can apply for her EEA4?
In February 2012, after completing 5 years.
3. Once she is granted EEA4, when is the earliest she can apply for Naturalisation? Will she have to go through temporary citizenship etc? She is 67 years of age.
February 2013. Assuming she meets the standard requirements and the rules stay the same. There is no temporary citizenship etc. Those plans were abolished as soon as the current government came into power. As she is over 65, she is exempt from taking the "Life in the UK" test before applying for naturalisation.

Liberal Immigrant

Re: EEA4 application problem

Post by Liberal Immigrant » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Jambo,

The Pakistani embassy are a bunch of idiots. Beside, they wont have any records of a village birth in 1960s. So I really don't think that's going to work.

Someone once suggested a DNA test. Will this be acceptable to HO?

Great news on temporary citizenship...hadn't realised that it had been abolished.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:42 pm

Has your wife got any official document from Ireland with her mother name on it? Or maybe you can obtain such a document?
No idea about the DNA test but I'm sure there is a simpler solution.
No harm phoning the HO and asking for advice.