ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

re - entry after marriage

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pyromaniac

re - entry after marriage

Post by Pyromaniac » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:45 pm

Ok, after sevral earlier posts I have got my Fiencee visa application coming together ( me = husband to be - UK citizen, Fiencee = Indonesian. )

Marriage is arranged in Church of England, and the other weddingy stuff is coming together nicely, like reception and so on. All nice things to go with the visa application.

Potential snag though, marriage arrangements - fine, but my then wife will have to go back to Indonesia, she has a contractual type job whcih she has to see out, as well as the usual moving of things and life in general from Indonesia to here, she has some property there and family (not moving here) etc as well as her job.

#Due to this - she will have to go back to Indonesia for maybe something like 6 months after the wedding, is this going to cause a big problem, are work commitments a valid reason for going back to Indonesia ?

She will arrive here on her fiencee visa of course - 6 months.

#Will she need to get the spouse visa before she returns to Indonesia? does it have to be got here in the UK or can she get this in Indonesia upon her return?
#How long would we have to wait for this if we apply straight after the wedding? #

She seems to think it's ok to return and get it there, but I am not so sure, I think she might have to get it here first.

Am I right in assuming as she arrived on a fiencee visa - after we are married it is no longer a valid visa for return to the UK as then she would not be returning to get married ?

I know this all sounds rather odd, her having to go back, and I can just see the thought 'marriage of convenience' floating around in the ECO's head were she to leave and then return later just after the marriage.

But she has her job commitments to see out and I have to maintain mine here of course for her return, so we both would effectively be apart, of course we are used to this after 4 years, but the Immigration bods might not see it the same way !

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:03 pm

Will she need to get the spouse visa before she returns to Indonesia? does it have to be got here in the UK or can she get this in Indonesia upon her return?
It needs to be done in the UK. It must be done no later than the expiry date of the current visa, and in view of that it must be done prior to her leaving the UK for 6 months.
How long would we have to wait for this if we apply straight after the wedding?
The application can be made as soon as the marriage has happened. There is no need to wait until near the end of the fiancée visa.

Application can be made by post .... fee £335 .... but I would suspect that you will want to apply in person at a PEO ... fee £500. As long as all the required documentation is brought to the PEO then the 2-year spouse visa will be issued on a while-you wait same-day basis.

Your disclosed location is Dorchester so suspect that Croydon is your nearest PEO. Click here for details. Note that an appointment is needed. But nothing to stop you pre-booking an appointment for the Monday following a Saturday wedding.
John

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:10 pm

I have heard of cases where people get married in the morning and grab a train to Croydon to get a Visa sorted out....

by the way; as far as I know, the 6month Fiance Visa is a single entry visa...as soon as you get out of the Uk; its not valid and you have to apply for another visa (change status)!
Where there is a will there is a way.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:18 pm

Chess wrote:by the way; as far as I know, the 6month Fiance Visa is a single entry visa
Chess, it is actually multi-entry ... indeed the UK only issues multi-entry visas these days .... except in very exceptional circumstances.
John

Pyromaniac

Post by Pyromaniac » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:43 pm

That does not sound so bad then, so in theory ...

we get married, could apply by post or pick up the visa the following monday and there should be no problems with her having to go back to Bali and re-entering the UK at a later date.

I assume they need her passport and so on for the visa application, so a visit might be the better option if it can be done the same day, no telling how long a postal application might take, and she guards her passport with her life and wouldnt want to be parted from it for very long !

Is the documentation the same as we supplied for the fiencee visa, weneed to keep all of this together ready to apply for the visa?
Plus the marriage certificate and so on of course.

We could always reschedule the wedding for a later date - but with the wedding arrangements ccoming along at a fast pace I really dont want to do that!

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Gerry

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:11 pm

John wrote:
Chess wrote:by the way; as far as I know, the 6month Fiance Visa is a single entry visa
Chess, it is actually multi-entry ... indeed the UK only issues multi-entry visas these days .... except in very exceptional circumstances.
thanks John - that visa used to be single entry in 1997!...but thanks for correcting me 8)
Where there is a will there is a way.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:23 pm

Is the documentation the same as we supplied for the fiencee visa, weneed to keep all of this together ready to apply for the visa?
Plus the marriage certificate and so on of course.
Absolutely not! You have already done the difficult bit ... getting the settlement visa granted outside the UK.

The application will need to be made on form FLR(M). Download that and have a good read. In "modern style" the form incorporates its own guidance. The required supporting evidence is detailed in Section 6 of the form.
John