ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OIC - FAQ

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

balaplus
Newly Registered

OIC - FAQ

Post by balaplus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:30 pm

I am compiling this FAQ based on my recent experience. I must say things have vastly improved recently at the Indian High commission.

CANCELLING INDIAN PASSPORT
--------------------------------------

When must I cancel my Indian passport?
This must be ideally done within 2 days of acquiring any foreign citizenship. However the Indian Government is not very particular about the time frame. I did it after 2 months.

How do I cancel Indian passport?
- Do it by post with a covering letter and return envelope
-OR-
- Queue up at the Indian consulate. 100 tokens available for passport services daily. Must be good enough even if you are there after 8:30 hrs
- Pickup the token and go to passport section in ground floor.
- Feel free to go and talk to the person in counter even if there is a queue. Cancellation takes just a minute.

Is cancellation necessary before submitting OIC applciation?
- Not necessary. This can be done by the person who handles OIC affairs

OIC
-----

Where do I apply?
- Queue up at the Indian consulate. 15 tokens available for OIC services daily. Must be enough if there around 8:00 hrs
- Pickup the token and go to OIC section in first floor

What documentation is needed?
- Fill section A online (if mistakes are made fill all over again...No feature to edit )
- Print out both section A and B (2 copies)
- Attach copies of british passport and cancelled Indian passport. If cancellation is done by the OIC official you can still get it photcopied.
- Self attest each page by signing (Use 'Self attested' or 'This is a true copy of the original') For minors add 'Signed on behalf of'
- Square photographs of 35 X 35 mm. I even saw the officer trimming the corners to make it square. White or non-white seems to be OK

How long does it take for approval ?
- Mine was within 10 days. Most others with me seemed to have had it within 2 weeks. Record for UK is 4 days apparently!

Anything else?
- Expect to wait in the first floor for a while. Normally 15th token is sorted out by around 13:00 hrs. Expect plenty of people around YOU to whinge about how horrible things are with the Indian system.

To be fair its not that bad...

Good luck
:)