ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eligible for British citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

HSE

Post by HSE » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Dear All,

we are Irish nationals living in UK since july 2010 aftre moving from Dublin. we are expecting a baby in 2012.

I was told by some mate that the baby will be eligible for british citzenship. is that correct or not. can anyone highlight that please as we are only here merely 13 months.

I am working in medicall profession since july 2010 and a regular taxpayer.

Best wishes

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:35 pm

This is correct.
Irish citizens enjoy a special status in the UK. They are deemed "settled" in the UK from day 1. A child born in the UK when either parent is "settled" in the UK is British from birth. You would be able to apply for a British passport straight away (if you wish). I believe the baby will also be Irish as born to Irish parents.

HSE

Post by HSE » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:10 am

Dear Jambo,

thanks a million for your helpful advice. Me and my wife both carry Irish passports and we have it through naturalisation. Does that matter that we are born Irish or received citizenship via naturalisation in view of applying british passport for upcoming baby.

Many Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:53 am

Doesn't matter.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Eligible for British citizenship?

Post by Jambo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:50 am

HSE wrote:Dear Jambo,

thanks a million for your helpful advice. Me and my wife both carry Irish passports and we have it through naturalisation. Does that matter that we are born Irish or received citizenship via naturalisation in view of applying british passport for upcoming baby.

Many Thanks
As vinny said, doesn't matter for British citizenship. It does matter for Irish citizenship. The baby will not be automatically Irish from birth but you will need to register him as Irish via Foreign Births Registration process. This can take up to 6 months.

HSE

Eligible for british citizenship

Post by HSE » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks a million for both of you for your helpful advices.

Is there any web link for british passport authority you can provide where I can look into this please for details, paper work etc.

Apologies about my ignorance in this matter.

Best wishes

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 am

See here:
eligibility
Children passports

The easiest way is to pick up an application form from the post office (the form is free). The application lists the supporting documents you need to provide with the application. The PO also offers a service called Check & Send in which they check the form has been filled in according to the guidelines and then they send it off to get processed.

HSE

eligibility for british citizenship

Post by HSE » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks a lot for your link.

but to be honest I couldnt find any black and white evidence where its written that Irish national parents wholse baby born in UK can apply for the british passport for that baby. there were british citizen, and some other terms which doesnt reflect towards Irish nationality. I am sure am i wrong here but can you specify please where Irish nationality thing mentioned please

Best Wishes

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:49 pm

It doesn't mention Irish citizens as well as not mentioning Italians, Indians or Iranians although if they are permanent residents in the UK, their children born in the UK are British (this is a UK government website. It's aimed at British nationals...)

It's a simple logic exercise.

From the eligibility link I provide:
If you were born after 31 December 1982

Being born in the UK does not automatically give you British citizenship.

If you were born after 31 December 1982, you will be a British citizen if either your mother or father* was either:

* a British citizen when you were born
* 'settled' in the UK when you were born
Irish citizens are considered 'settled' in the UK from day 1 (although I could not find an "official" link stating this but this is a known fact).

Alternatively call the Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000 and ask.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

HSE

Post by HSE » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:25 am

Thanks a million now. your examples of settled citizen make all sense now and thanks Vinny for the helpful link.

God bless.