ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

old age benefits for family visitors

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

touchwood
Newly Registered

old age benefits for family visitors

Post by touchwood » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi All
My father aged 68 years and my mother aged 63 years have come to the UK to see me on family visitor's visa. Now I am wondering whether they are entitled for the old-age benefits like
1) Free medical treatment and
2) Free bus tickets etc.

Please advise. Many thanks

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:37 pm

I m afraid they are not entitled to claim ANYTHING AT ALL on visitors visa.If they do you may have to repay it back

vignette

Post by vignette » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:12 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure why you would think such benefits might be available to someone who is just visiting the UK.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:34 pm

touchwood, are you saying your parents have come to the UK without Travel Insurance? If so, that really was not a good idea.

For a visitor to the UK use of the NHS is limited. That is, assume the following, to illustrate. Say a visitor to the UK collapses in the street. An ambulance is called. They are treated at the scene by paramedics .... free ..... they are transported to A&E in an ambulance .... free ..... they are treated in A&E .... free ..... they need further treatment, so are moved to theatre/a ward .... not free.

In other words, just when it starts to get really expensive .... they need to pay.
John