ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Just got UK ancestry visa - want to know path to citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xexers
Newly Registered

Just got UK ancestry visa - want to know path to citizenship

Post by xexers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Hello,

My wife & I have just received our UK Ancestry Visas. We plan on staying in the UK for at least 5 years. We are Canadian.

How easy/hard is it to get UK citizenship after 5 years?

1. Can I get it nearly immediately or is it a long drawn out process?
2. Does time outside of the UK count or not towards my 5 years? Does time in other EU countries count?
3. Is there a citizenship test I need to take?
4. Is there a website that has information on this exact topic that you can link me to?

Thanks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:57 pm

1. You have to hold ILR for at least 1 year.
2. No. Time spent outside the UK does not count.
3. Yes, required for ILR.
4. UK Ancestry. 186-193
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

xexers
Newly Registered

Post by xexers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your response, but I'm still a bit confused. I have a few more questions:

Question 1:
No. Time spent outside the UK does not count.
The links you sent on seem to suggest that during those 5 years you can spend a maximum of 450 days outside of the UK. Does this mean that we can apply for ILR after exactly 5 years (assuming we vacationed outside of the UK for less than 450 days during our 5 years)?

Question 2:
do we need to register with the police when we get there?

Question 3:
The start date for our new UK ancestry visa has already started but we do not intend to permanently move over for another 2 months. Is this a problem? Will the 5 years start from when our visa started or when we first entered the UK on the new visa?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:55 pm

1. Unfortunately, the Indefinite leave to remain - calculating continuous period in UK is much more stricter than for naturalisation.

2. If you are required to report to the police, then the visa in your passport will clearly say so.

3. Should be okay if you enter within 3 months of your visa's effective date.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.