ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spousal/Unmarried partner advice URGENT!!! Thanks

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 pm

She doesn't need to apply for FLR now but will need to do so before her leave expires next year.

How much is this organisation going to charge you? Having a legal representative does not 'put you in good stead' with the home office. Unless you can provide evidence to show you meet the rules then the application will be refused whether you have a legal rep or not.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:46 am

Sounds like they're trying to run with your money Freddie!

I wouldn't trust them based on the crappy advice they gave you which can mislead you and cause your partner to become an overstayer. She needs to apply for flr(m) and like Vinny said, do it soon as they are planning on changing up a lot of rules next april.

So it's basically that you have to choose between: dream wedding or less immigration hassle to deal with. Keep in mind that a wedding is one day and a marriage is for life. That kind of thinking helps IMO.
I tell it like it is.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:59 am

Also bear in mind that the closer your girlfriend gets to the visa expiry date, the more you risk the case worker taking the view that the UPV application is a means for her to remain in the UK.
I agree with ElenaW and Greenie by the way. The legal 'advice' appears extremely dubious.

FreddieEddit
Newly Registered

Post by FreddieEddit » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Ok. Thank you for the advice thus far.

So lets say I want to go down the marriage. Can you guys talk me through the process with the associated costs.

Is it get married first and then apply for relevant documentations? If we just turned up to the registry office with little or no effort would that make a difference to our application??

Please talk me through the entire process and not generalise as I want to get this right if we do it.

Best wishes and thanks in advance.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:41 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Now that the requirement for a Certificate of Approval to marry has been withdrawn, the registrar is legally bound to interview you both when you book your ceremony to ensure that the relationship is genuine. Once this is booked, you can of course 'just turn up' without any of the 'normal' celebratory trappings one would expect on a couple's wedding day, but remember that you will be expected to submit photos of the wedding with the FLR(M) application, together with other evidence of your time together, showing a genuine relationship.

FreddieEddit
Newly Registered

Post by FreddieEddit » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Casa wrote:Now that the requirement for a Certificate of Approval to marry has been withdrawn, the registrar is legally bound to interview you both when you book your ceremony to ensure that the relationship is genuine. Once this is booked, you can of course 'just turn up' without any of the 'normal' celebratory trappings one would expect on a couple's wedding day, but remember that you will be expected to submit photos of the wedding with the FLR(M) application, together with other evidence of your time together, showing a genuine relationship.
What would evidence of a genuine relationship encompass? We have photos both on the computer and printed by Jessops (time stamped) and with the thumbnail images with a date of when the pictures were processed byJessops? Is this adequate?

Also are there fees for switching to the Wives Visa?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Photos should be fine. If you've been living together you're unlikely to have saved emails or proof of telephone calls. By the way you won't be able to submit a CD of photos.
FLR(M) is the 'wives visa'. It's the same application form for Unmarried Partners as for a Spouse visa - further leave to remain. This will grant a further 2 years. The fee is £550 for a postal application or £850 if you apply in person.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:45 am

FreddieEddit wrote:
Lol this made me laugh. I wish there weren't!
I tell it like it is.

FreddieEddit
Newly Registered

Post by FreddieEddit » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:04 am

ElenaW wrote:
FreddieEddit wrote:
Lol this made me laugh. I wish there weren't!
My girlfriend has just been offered a position for an engineering post in another town nearby. The company have offered to help her apply for a work permit. As I said we have lived together since May 2010 (1 year 3 months~) at our current address, where we both receive mail and this is where she is registered to work and with the police. Therefore would you guys suggest we go with this work permit and apply for the unmarried spouse visa after 9 months?

On the other hand we are contemplating the marriage route, but would like to get married in a low key event due to not wanting to spend extravagantly at this current juncture of our lives. But we intend to make a big affair of things in the future. Would this be acceptable?

Best wishes and thanks in advance.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:20 am

Both ways are acceptable. The decision is up to you. Keep in mind, immigration rules are changing all the time and things never get easier!
I tell it like it is.

FreddieEddit
Newly Registered

Post by FreddieEddit » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:36 pm

Dear all, thanks for all the previous help. I now require further assistance so if you could oblige and help that would be very much appreciated.

My partner and I are now happily married.

1. From the previous responses the next course of action is to fill in form FLR(M) in order for her to get "further leave to remain" is that correct?

2. She holds Masters degree from the University of Wolverhampton in Advanced Technology Management (Mechanical Engineering). Is this enough to exempt her from the english language test? As the online website guidance notes and the guidance notes for the FLR(M) form vary, one says they only accept Batchelor level equivellent, the other states Masters and PhD are ok.

3. Does she need to get this verified by UK NARIC in order to past the english language component? Given that her degree was taught in the UK and therefore taught completely in English Also does she need to past the test regarding "knowledge of language and life"?

4. I am currently looking for employment but she has a full time job earning £19-20k, will this affect her application?

5. I currently joint own a property with the parents does this affect the application in anyway?

Thanks in advance and best wishes to all.

FreddieEddit
Newly Registered

Post by FreddieEddit » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:03 am

Please some advice asap as I am in a bit of a rush to sort things out!