ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student (tier 4) to FLR(M)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JB1611
Newly Registered

Student (tier 4) to FLR(M)

Post by JB1611 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am

Hi all,

My partner (a US citizen) is currently in the UK on a student (tier 4) visa. She came in September 2010 and it expires in January 2012. We are planning on getting married in October 2011, and will be applying for the FLR(M) visa straight away.

I just wanted to check that we have all the documentation we need; there doesn't seem to be very specific rules as there is with the PSW visa for example.

We've been living together since Septemember 2010 so have tenancy agreement and utility bills from that property. We moved flat in July 2011 so will also have tenancy agreement and utility bills from the new property.

With regards to finances, we have one joint account which has had over £1000 in it consecutively for about 10 months. I then have another account in my name which my salary goes in to (I earn around £1400 a month) and an ISA with savings in. She has her own account also, which her loan instalments went in to, however she would transfer them straight out into one of my accounts which our rent and bills was paid from. So there's nothing really in that account.

I work full-time in a permanent position and she is finishing her master’s degree in September. As such, she doesn’t have a job yet (we thought it best to wait for this visa so she can apply for full-time graduate positions).

As far as I can see, we should (hopefully) be fine. My question is what is the opinion of sending a postal application vs applying in person? Obviously we’d rather save £300, but if it ultimately means she can get a job faster, it might be worth the money. Also, is the fact that she’s not earning money right now going to be a problem? I earn more than enough to look after us both, but are there certain thresholds the bank statements need to meet?

Many thanks in advance for reading my waffling!

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:57 am

The only documents you need are the ones written on the flr(m) application. No extras needed. Your gf is American, makes it even easier.

Flr(m) doesn't ask for tenancy agreements or bills if you're going through the marriage route.

It's not a problem that she's not working. If you have more than enough, go for it. Flr(m) has been quoted back as taking a bout a month from start to finish. So up to you really!
I tell it like it is.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:04 am

you don't say what your own nationality/immigration status is? Assuming you are British or are settled (have ILR or PR) in the UK:

You need to show that you have the equivalent or more than a couple on income support- specifically £105.95 per week remaining after you have deducted council tax and rent/mortgage from your income. If your income after those deductions falls short then your savings can be used to show you have sufficient resourses.

JB1611
Newly Registered

Post by JB1611 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm a British Citizen. After deducting rent and council tax, I still have about £700 a month coming in so should be fine.

I know they only ask for proof of finances and a marriage certificate, but is it a good idea to just provide as much evidence as you have of the relationship being real? We have photos covering our 3 year relationship, plane tickets to visit each other when we lived apart etc. I think I read a post on here previously where someone said they compiled everything they had relating the the relationship into a file, and sent that off with the application.

I'm probably over thinking things anyway, I tend to do that!

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:56 pm

JB1611 wrote:Thanks for your replies.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm a British Citizen. After deducting rent and council tax, I still have about £700 a month coming in so should be fine.

I know they only ask for proof of finances and a marriage certificate, but is it a good idea to just provide as much evidence as you have of the relationship being real? We have photos covering our 3 year relationship, plane tickets to visit each other when we lived apart etc. I think I read a post on here previously where someone said they compiled everything they had relating the the relationship into a file, and sent that off with the application.

I'm probably over thinking things anyway, I tend to do that!
Yep overthinking! They won't look at extras. Simple as that. You can include things but they will ignore them if they don't list those things. If they want more documents from you they will contact you.
I tell it like it is.

JB1611
Newly Registered

Post by JB1611 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Okay thanks :)

One more concern I have after reading another thread... does she need to show proof that she's been studying? She's enrolled full-time at an approved university and has been studying continuously, but I guess won't get her degree certificate until maybe November time when the exam board meets?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:45 pm

Regarding proof of your relationship, as your partner is switching from another visa category (rather than applying after being granted a fiance visa) you should submit evidence of the relationship.
e.g Photos etc., or as you are living together you could submit correspondence to you and your partner. There's a column for this on the right hand side of the printed version of form FLR(M).
If you apply in person you may well be asked for proof that studies have continued.