ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for family and Citizenship for new born by Aug-2011

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gentlejuke

ILR for family and Citizenship for new born by Aug-2011

Post by gentlejuke » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:14 am

Hi,

Myself, my wife and my daughter(2.5 yrs) will get eligibility for ILR in first week of August.
And we have a new baby born in UK last week, planning apply for Citizenship directly for him after our ILR.

QUESTION-1
Here is my plan, can you please correct me if I am doing anything wrong from below and pls let me know any suggestion?

Aug/2006 - UK Entry:
May/2011 - New baby born:
Jun/2011 - Apply Indian Passport for new born:
Aug/2011 - Apply ILR for all excluding new born (SET0 - Me, Wife and Daughter-born in India)
Sep/2011 - Apply New baby Citizenship (MN1 - After above ILR)

QUESTION-2Personally we dont have a long term plans to settle in UK, planning to go back to India in another two or three years.
Since education is very expensive for NRI's (Non Resident India) in India, thinking not to apply Citizenship for my new born child, but apply for ILR along with us.
And in otherside, thinking, I might be doing wrong as my kids loose benifit of UK/EU access in future.

It would be a great help if you could suggest best of doing this please?

lionking007

Re: ILR for family and Citizenship for new born by Aug-2011

Post by lionking007 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:35 am

gentlejuke wrote:Hi,

Myself, my wife and my daughter(2.5 yrs) will get eligibility for ILR in first week of August.
And we have a new baby born in UK last week, planning apply for Citizenship directly for him after our ILR.

QUESTION-1
Here is my plan, can you please correct me if I am doing anything wrong from below and pls let me know any suggestion?

Aug/2006 - UK Entry:
Aug/2011 - Apply ILR for all excluding new born (SET0 - Me, Wife and Daughter-born in India)

QUESTION-2Personally we dont have a long term plans to settle in UK, planning to go back to India in another two or three years.
Since education is very expensive for NRI's (Non Resident India) in India, thinking not to apply Citizenship for my new born child, but apply for ILR along with us.
And in otherside, thinking, I might be doing wrong as my kids loose benifit of UK/EU access in future.

Don't forget if you in the future do not maintain regular ties in the uk the ilr may be revoked. I suggest, you all apply for a British citizenship and then go to India. Apply for oci here and on the obi live in India as long as you like. At least this is something I would do as I get to keep all the options

model
Newly Registered

Re: ILR for family and Citizenship for new born by Aug-2011

Post by model » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:35 am

lionking007 wrote:
gentlejuke wrote:Hi,

QUESTION-1

Aug/2006 - UK Entry:

Don't forget if you in the future do not maintain regular ties in the uk the ilr may be revoked. I suggest, you all apply for a British citizenship and then go to India. Apply for oci here and on the obi live in India as long as you like. At least this is something I would do as I get to keep all the options
I agree with lionking007, However you can revoke your India citizen if you stay in India more than 5 years. As you mentioned your kid is less than a year old I don't think it makes big differance for next 12 years. I would suggest take British Citizen and think later.

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks a lot for suggesions Model and Lionking. I decided for Citizenship + OCI

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi – Through above discussion and UKBA references available in forum I understand that UK born baby of ILR parents can apply British Citizenship directly.
However I have a query – is Child required hold his country passport while applying Citizenship? or Child can apply without any passport on basis of ILR parents?

As per my knowledge child should have his country passport but no Visa/ILR required, but few of my friends have different idea on the same.

Please let me know.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:05 pm

No passport required.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Vinny- Thanks a lot for link provided, has detailed example.
Now, I understand that child doen't need to hold any passport while applying for citizenship through MN1 form....

Thanks,

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:48 pm

We (excluding UK Born kid) got ILR for family. Thanks for your inputs. Can you please help me out on follwing queries?

Q1: May-Baby born and birth registered. July-ILR issued to parents.
On this basis, planning to apply MN1 for UK born kid. Hope this route is correct.

Q2: MN1 documents-
Baby has no passport, so do I have to left blank for Nationality field in MN1 appl or do I need to mention parents Nationality?

Q3: Planning to send Parents passport, Marriage Certificate and Birth Certificate along with MN1.

Q4: May be it is too early to ask this quest. Next year planning for BC. Do I need to maintain documents for BC as well, likewise ILR (12 payslips, bankstatements, P60, Cohabit, etc)

Please provide a links if any on above discussion or pls suggest.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:09 am

Q1: May-Baby born and birth registered. July-ILR issued to parents.
On this basis, planning to apply MN1 for UK born kid. Hope this route is correct.
Yes. Apply under section 1(3).
Q2: MN1 documents-
Baby has no passport, so do I have to left blank for Nationality field in MN1 appl or do I need to mention parents Nationality?
If the parents nationality is transferred to the child, then write down his nationality. A passport is just a travel document. You can hold a nationality without a passport.
Q3: Planning to send Parents passport, Marriage Certificate and Birth Certificate along with MN1.

That's is what needed.
Q4: May be it is too early to ask this quest. Next year planning for BC. Do I need to maintain documents for BC as well, likewise ILR (12 payslips, bankstatements, P60, Cohabit, etc)

There is no requirement to show economic activity or financial status when applying for BC. Just residency (stamps in passport are good enough). So no need for the pile of documents you used in the past. A passport is usually all that is needed...

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:15 am

Thank you very much Jambo for the responses.

May I ask you little more clarification on Q2 response please?

If the parents nationality is transferred to the child, then write down his nationality.

We both (parents) are from same nationality, so I have to write our Nationality as Baby's Nationality by default and no additional proofs required for the same. This is my understanding from above.

Please let me know is that correct.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 pm

I'm not familiar with Indian nationality law and whether a child born abroad to Indian parents, is Indian or not. If the child is Indian, then just write Indian.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:33 pm

If your baby is an Indian citizen at the moment it was born, OR if you have subsequently applied to the Indian government and the government has granted/approved citizenship, then you need to write INDIAN in the question.

If the baby is presently stateless, then you write NONE or stateless.

It really depends on Indian citizenship law.

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks for response Directive.

Your response is at right time. I have filled MN1 and chasing for referees now. Wrote 'Indian' as Nationality by assuming child automatically can be a Indian.

Just read a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_nationality_law wihch says - From 3 December 2004 onwards, persons born outside of India shall not be considered citizens of India unless their birth is registered at an Indian consulate within one year of the date of birth.

Now I have a question - Is it mandatory to hold Nationality or stateless can also apply? if so am planning to write as 'NONE' is that fine.

your response would be most appreciated. thanks you
[/u][/i]

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:21 pm

I would suggest that you contact the Indian high commission and see what they say.

Or maybe there is something in writing on their web site.

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Yes Directive, i have checked in the indian site. Baby born outside india to Indian parents can't be a citizen by default. It is required to register a baby as an indian citizen . I have downloaded registration from Indian Consulate site, planning to submit on Wednesday. Once I finish with registration then I will post MN1 form.

Still not sure whether nationality-NONE can apply through MN1, however I decided to register him as an Indian first, so that baby will have a history of Indian Citizenship and it might be useful in future.

Hope I am not wrong from above. Once again thanks for your response ealier, otherwise I might have posted MN1 without registering baby as Indian.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:54 pm

I am not certain, but but I do not think the baby needs to have a citizenship to register with an MN1 application.

It may be worth looking into it a little before submitting either an Indian registration or a MN1 application. There may be a right and wrong order to do them in.

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:58 pm

Directive - For your quick ref from above topic is - In MN1Form - 'Present Nationality' should be Blank or None or Indian.

As per MN1 Guide if child is stateless then should use S2 or S3, I presume I still has to use MN1 form as I am applying under section 1(3). Forum also responded saying they dont really concentrate on current natinality.

If I leave blank - case work might more focus on it, why it is left blank and explantion might required.

If I enter Indian - as per law it is invalid entry. However this wont affect.

From above discussion, I said, i am going to apply for Indian passport for my child just to provide current nationality in MN1, but I withdrawn that option since it is unnecessary effort. If I get it, I will loose it immediately once registered..

totally confused how to proceed. sorry to keep drag on this.. either I go with Blank or Indian (without register as Indian)...thinking..any suggestions.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:31 am

Can you please tell me for sure that the baby is not Indian unless your register the birth with them embassy?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:47 am

Citizenship by descent wrote:From 3 December 2004 onwards, persons born outside of India shall not be considered citizens of India unless their birth is registered at an Indian consulate within one year of the date of birth.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:54 am

Well then it seems to me pretty straight forward.

(1) The child is not (yet) Indian because it has not been registered
(2) The child is not (yet) British because no MN1 form has been filed
(3) I assume the child does not have other citizenships

So the child is (mildly and temporarily) stateless.

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:41 am

Thank you.

I am planning to keep 'Present Nationality’ as Blank and going to provide explanation in 'Further information' page.

As per MN1 Guide if child is stateless then should use S2 or S3, I presume I still has to use MN1 form as I am applying under section 1(3) (forum said the same earlier)

Pls give a shout if any suggestions. Keep you update outcome.

Till now I spent around £9,000/- towards tier-1 Visa's & ILR from last 5yrs. Still to spend nearly £3,000/- towards our BC next year :( .

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:13 am

gentlejuke wrote:As per MN1 Guide if child is stateless then should use S2 or S3
Can you explain what S2 or S3 are please.

gentlejuke wrote:Till now I spent around £9,000/- towards tier-1 Visa's & ILR from last 5yrs. Still to spend nearly £3,000/- towards our BC next year :( .
Is this per person or for a group of people? It is a lot of money though!

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:44 am

S2 and S3 are different forms to register citizenship.

here are the links
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... orm_s3.pdf
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... orm_s2.pdf