ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR holder getting married to a British Citizen

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

daisychayne
Newly Registered

ILR holder getting married to a British Citizen

Post by daisychayne » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:53 pm

I was wondering if there are any restrictions in terms of someone with ILR marrying a British Citizen?

I gained my ILR independently of the relationship (completed my 5 years through Ancestry and subsequently qualified for my ILR). My fiance is a British Citizen and we both live and work in the UK.

Is there any additional registration we need to complete or are we free from restrictions given our citizenship/residency statuses?

Thanks!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:37 pm

You're free from Immigration restrictions. Immediately after you marry you will be entitled to apply for British Citizenship.

daisychayne
Newly Registered

Post by daisychayne » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Super, thanks Casa. So we don't need to make any special marriage pre-registrations other than the standard process for anyone getting married in the UK?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:19 pm

No you don't. In fact the requirement for a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office for permission to marry has been removed, so even if you didn't have ILR you wouldn't have needed to register your intention.

Enjoy your wedding day. :)

daisychayne
Newly Registered

Post by daisychayne » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:40 pm

Cool - thanks very much! Now I just get need to get down to the rest of the planning... :)

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:48 pm

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!