ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any benefits in attaching a covering letter with a form?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ZD

Any benefits in attaching a covering letter with a form?

Post by ZD » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi all, just a general question really. I often read visa applicants attaching a covering letter [written by a solicitor] to their visa application form explaining particular points. Of course, a covering letter is no substitute for evidence but I am wondering whether such letters are taken into consideration and have any influence, benefit, or perhaps disadvantages in conjunction with the application/evidence?

Thanks

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:05 pm

I think it depends on the circumstances. I certainly think, for example, that it is reasonable to provide, in a covering letter, a list of all the documents that you have provided if that is not clear from the form itself - e.g.:
- current passport of M (valid to Y) with residence permit;
- expired passport of M (valid A to B);
- marriage certificate of M and N (certified copy);
- birth certificate of Baby M (original);
- etc.

Similarly, if you have included a document that is not specifically asked for but that might be helpful (e.g. to explain absences from the territory or to explain why a particular document is not available), then it can be helpful to explain all that in a covering letter.

These sorts of letters wouldn't necessarily need to be written by a solicitor - although it would pay to make sure that the grammar and language usage is correct and that the physical presentation of the letter is appropriate for the culture of the country that you are applying to.

On the other hand, if the covering letter says nothing more than, in effect, 'here is my application form', then it's probably not especially helpful...