ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Timeframe to send EU1 form after arrrival + Garda question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

b91911
Newly Registered

Timeframe to send EU1 form after arrrival + Garda question

Post by b91911 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi,

My husband and I are getting ready to move to Ireland in just a couple of months. I have posted here before and gotten tons of helpful information, so thanks again.

I have one more question. I'm a EU citizen, my husband is a US citizen (so he doesn't need a visa to enter Ireland). I was advised to go register at the local Garda as soon as possible after arrival, however I am still a little confused as to what exactly we need to go there and what will happen there. Do i need to take bank statements, proof of medical insurance (applying under self-sufficient for EU treaty rights) etc, or will they just basically give us an application for EU1 to fill out?
Can we wait a couple of weeks after arrival to go register, or should we do it within a few days?

Also, how much time do I have after our arrival and registering with Garda to send the application? I am asking because there are papers we will need to send, such as leasing agreement, utility bills, etc, that we obviously won't have until a month or 2 after arriving.

I want to do the everything by the book and make sure we don't compromise my husband's application because we waited 2-3 months to send all our paperwork.

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:10 am

You can not be required to do anything in the first 3 months after arrival. The EU citizen does not need to work and can do whatever they feel like.

In general it is useful to apply for a Residence Card, but not having one does not generally effect the legality of the non-EU family member. The RC acts just as a confirmation of rights that already exist for that person.

b91911
Newly Registered

Post by b91911 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Thank you, Directive. Much appreciated.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Download a copy of the EU1 application. You will need to send it to DOJ after you arrive.