ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK ancestry visa - next steps

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xexers
Newly Registered

UK ancestry visa - next steps

Post by xexers » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Hello,

We have obtained our UK ancestry visas for both myself & my wife. We are both Canadian originally. We have not entered the UK yet. I have a few questions:

1. Do we get the same health care services as a native UK citizen?
2. Do we need to sign up for any government numbers when we arrive?
3. What are we NOT entitled to? It says "no access to public funds", is that strictly for welfare money? does that include medical?

Thanks!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:12 pm

1. Yes you have free access to the health service
2. You need to apply for a national insurance number which you need when you are working.
3. Generally speaking you can't claim benefits but this does not include access to the health service and furthermore as a Canadian you may benefit from the reciprocal arrangements between the UK and Canada. See detailed public funds guidance

sensitivesoul
Newly Registered

Post by sensitivesoul » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:15 am

Greenie wrote:1. Yes you have free access to the health service
2. You need to apply for a national insurance number which you need when you are working.
3. Generally speaking you can't claim benefits but this does not include access to the health service and furthermore as a Canadian you may benefit from the reciprocal arrangements between the UK and Canada. See detailed public funds guidance
Thanks for that Greenie :) Just read it over and some good info is there, will definately be bookmarking it :D .