ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK citizen without EC rights??????????

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amitchar
Newly Registered

UK citizen without EC rights??????????

Post by amitchar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:35 pm

Dear Forum members,
its me again with a totally different query
you see i am a british citizen who has qualified outside the uk that is india as a doctor
now the general medical council of great britain tells me that i have to show them 2 things in orer to be registered with them and thereby work in the uk.

1) knowledge of english--IELTS exam
2)knowledge of medicine--PLAB exam

fair enough but European nationals who have qualified outside europe as doctors dont need to do the plab and uptill recently did not need to do Ielts

they say only if i qualify for EC rights do i get the same treatment

so if i was born in belgium and did medicine in india i would not need to go through the rigmarole of extensive examinations but since i was born in uk i need to do them---ridiculous!!!!!!!!

by the way i did my ilts with a band of 8 but it still frustrates me.

i am attaching a link to a site which the gmc sites for its reference:
http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/join_the_ ... tsheet.pdf

they say that i had to ahve settled in a european country---isnt the UK one???????

i ahd stayed as a child for 9 years

can someone help please as there are many in my position all with the same query

amitchar

doctor71
Newly Registered

Re: UK citizen without EC rights??????????

Post by doctor71 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:28 pm

amitchar wrote:Dear Forum members,
its me again with a totally different query
you see i am a british citizen who has qualified outside the uk that is india as a doctor
now the general medical council of great britain tells me that i have to show them 2 things in orer to be registered with them and thereby work in the uk.

1) knowledge of english--IELTS exam
2)knowledge of medicine--PLAB exam

fair enough but European nationals who have qualified outside europe as doctors dont need to do the plab and uptill recently did not need to do Ielts

they say only if i qualify for EC rights do i get the same treatment

so if i was born in belgium and did medicine in india i would not need to go through the rigmarole of extensive examinations but since i was born in uk i need to do them---ridiculous!!!!!!!!

by the way i did my ilts with a band of 8 but it still frustrates me.

i am attaching a link to a site which the gmc sites for its reference:
http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/join_the_ ... tsheet.pdf

they say that i had to ahve settled in a european country---isnt the UK one???????

i ahd stayed as a child for 9 years

can someone help please as there are many in my position all with the same query

amitchar

JAJ
Australia

Re: UK citizen without EC rights??????????

Post by JAJ » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:23 am

amitchar wrote: they say that i had to ahve settled in a european country---isnt the UK one???????

A general principle of EU law is that it cannot be invoked to claim rights within your own member state if you are a national of that state.

However, if you have dual nationality with another EU/EEA/Switzerland state, or if you have resided in another state, you can claim to be treated on the basis of being linked with the "other" country.

amitchar
Newly Registered

Post by amitchar » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:11 am

then will i be exempted from writing the tras exam as all other EU nationals are? One estimate says there almost 2 million EU citizens in Ireland and they are exempted from taking up registration exams. Even in UK EU citizens not British who studied medicine abroad are exempt from PLAB so shouldnt the irish medical council exempt british citizens who have graduated abroad without doing their registration exams just as GMC of great britain does and cites article 11 of 1612/68 for freedom of movememt in the EU

doctor71
Newly Registered

Post by doctor71 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:52 am

amitchar wrote:then will i be exempted from writing the tras exam as all other EU nationals are? One estimate says there almost 2 million EU citizens in Ireland and they are exempted from taking up registration exams. Even in UK EU citizens not British who studied medicine abroad are exempt from PLAB so shouldnt the irish medical council exempt british citizens who have graduated abroad without doing their registration exams just as GMC of great britain does and cites article 11 of 1612/68 for freedom of movememt in the EU