ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cost of registering a child as British citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

drkails
Newly Registered

Cost of registering a child as British citizen

Post by drkails » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Hello

I am about to register my younger child as a british citizen. He was born in UK but at that time we did not have ILR. We have been given ILR last month.
I want to know is it cheaper if we all (me,wife and elder child aged 8 and the younger one) apply for British passport together or register this child now and the rest three of us apply after we have finished one year on our ILR.
I would be grateful if you could let me know please
Many Thanks
Kailash Bhatia

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:35 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:36 pm

apply for British passport together

I presume you mean applying for British citizenship. You can only apply for a passport after you are granted British citizenship.

It is cheaper to register several children together. See full cost here. For 2 children it will cost £810 (so 50% discount for the second child). Your joint naturalisation applications has no affect on the cost of the children registration applications.

There is no difference in the cost of passport applications if you apply together or separately.

drkails
Newly Registered

Post by drkails » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Jambo wrote:

I presume you mean applying for British citizenship. You can only apply for a passport after you are granted British citizenship.

It is cheaper to register several children together. See full cost here. For 2 children it will cost £810 (so 50% discount for the second child). Your joint naturalisation applications has no affect on the cost of the children registration applications.

There is no difference in the cost of passport applications if you apply together or separately.
Myself, my wife and my elder child will be British citizens next year. (1 year after given ILR). But my younger one who is born in UK (April 2011) can get a British passport as we have ILR now. I just was planning to register him as a citizen and that costs £540 if I am not wrong.
If I do not apply to register him now, by August 2012 we all will be able to apply for British citizenship together.
So which option would be cheaper( Register younger one now and the rest 3 of us one year later or all together after one year) is what I wanted to know. Hope I am making sense.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:35 pm

all together after one year. if you read carefully my post again it clearly states that:
It is cheaper to register several children together

taliska

Post by taliska » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:20 pm

drkails wrote:
Jambo wrote:

Myself, my wife and my elder child will be British citizens next year. (1 year after given ILR). But my younger one who is born in UK (April 2011) can get a British passport as we have ILR now. I just was planning to register him as a citizen and that costs £540 if I am not wrong.
If I do not apply to register him now, by August 2012 we all will be able to apply for British citizenship together.
So which option would be cheaper( Register younger one now and the rest 3 of us one year later or all together after one year) is what I wanted to know. Hope I am making sense.
If your younger was born before you had ILR then you still have to register them as a british citizen which is what Jambo is saying so it would be cheaper if you did it all together