ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing South African Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Edelweiss

Renewing South African Passport

Post by Edelweiss » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi there

Has anyone had experience renewing their South African passport in the UK? I need to do this as my passport expires in May 2009. They say the turnaround is 4 months, but I don't want to take a chance, so would like to apply earlier, is this possible?

Where do I get documents certified and fingerprints done?

I am having trouble with the forms - can anyone advise on this?

Hope you can help :D

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:33 pm

If you are doing the whole thing at SA House, every thing is done there, for you, certifying /finger printing.
Just make sure you have a letter from the Home Office stating you are not British and make sure you make a booking with SA House, otherwise they want let you in.
Good luck and it can take up six months.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Sorry what forms are you battling with?

Leo_Swan

Post by Leo_Swan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:36 pm

Edelweiss,

This is what you do, go to the following website and book an appointment: http://www.southafricahouse.com/Consulate/CP_Ren.htm

You well need to go London to do so if you do not live there.

Things to keep in mind, If you have been here for more than 4 years they would need a letter form British Home Office stating that you have not yet applied for British citizenship. (Reason for this is that you need to have to ask permission from the SA Home office to have dual nationality) They are therefor checking if you have jumped through the correct hoops.

A few years ago when i did this i was here on a 2 year WHV and then I was 3 years into my workpermit and they asked for that letter before they could renew my SA passport even though it would have been impossible to have gain British Citizenship. ( :evil: )

Anyways if you have more questions just ask.

Leo_swan

Edelweiss

Post by Edelweiss » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:15 pm

Thank you for the answers guys! I was hoping to do this by post, I believe SA House is a nightmare to get an appointment with and the phone call is SO expensive.

The forms - for example, how do you fill in your post code, there isn't enough space on the form. Also on the Determination of Citizenship Status there is a bit where you have to fill in the date of your departure from the country, reason and when you returned permanently. Do you just leave the return date blank.

I have been out of the country for three and a half years, so would it be a good idea to get the letter from the Home Office saying I haven't got Citizenship here anyway?

Thanks again for the help

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:25 pm

Yes the best is to do the whole thing in person.
Otherwise it's certifying all your docs and Twenty quid for finger printing.

Three and a half years here, I would'nt take the risk of SAH rejecting your application, get the letter from Home Office rather.

When are you going to return permantly- give any old date!
Reason for leaving- AA and crime.

You can make the appointement via e-mail I think, check the SAH web site.

Leo_Swan

Post by Leo_Swan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:10 pm

I have to agree with Siggi - in person is the least hassle. I tried to look on the website but could not find a way to make an appointment via a webpage...

I know the phone call is expensive but it should not be longer than 3 mins and that is £3

Edelweiss

Post by Edelweiss » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Are there any specific rules about the photos you use? Like the British ones where you have to have your mouth closed, etc.

Still would like to know if anyone has managed to get fingerprinted without going to SA house. Reason is my sister also has to get her passport done and she lives in Nottingham. She's a teacher, so she can't just take off any day that the consulate happens to have an appointment free for her.

sanfair
Newly Registered

Post by sanfair » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:31 pm

I had to apply for a replacement passport in January last year and it took about three months.
Unfortunately, you have to use the horribly expensive line to get an appointment. I don't think there is a way around it.
Make sure you have a proper direct touch tone telephone - I had trouble and ended up having to phone about three times.
Also make sure you get there really early when you have your appointment, there is always a huge queue.

Leo_Swan

Post by Leo_Swan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:16 am

Standard passport foto's will do: Go to any photo prosessing shop and ask to get passport photos taken.

To be safe:
1. dont pull faces
2. look straight ahead
3. tie hair back
4. keep eyes open

Also and this is very important fill the forms in with BLACK INK. They are very strict on this.

Edelweiss

Post by Edelweiss » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:34 pm

Thank you so much guys!!

wv_girl
Newly Registered

what do i need???

Post by wv_girl » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Hiya ...been following this with some interest as i have JUST noticed my passport has expired (was back home only recently - DOH!). I live in london but it is such a schlep to get down to trafalgar square with kids! but ach sounds like the only thing to do.

Can you help me??:
- its a SA renewal (and i have european citizenship by birth right): do i need to get this document to say i have permission or whatever?? has anyone who has dual done this? I've had my european passport for ages
- can i get my fingerprints done at the same time as the application? (on the website its 3-4pm only ...what if application is 11am???)
- do i need my id book? (i think mine is at home actually)
-whats the deal with the premium rate number??? do u actually speak with a person or is it all automated? (wanted to call today -sunday).

I guess its good the renewal prices arent european like (£70-odd for british ...biometric rubbish).

cheers for helping me out with my blond-esque queries!
an

wv_girl
Newly Registered

Post by wv_girl » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:21 pm

sorry for even a renewal does everyone have to fill in a bi-529 "determination of citizenship status"?? even if it is bleedin obvious? (e.g. by virtue of a current (but about to expire) passport??)

~Also do we have to hand in the old passport? I gues they will see then that i dont have a visa. ...hhmmm

:?

Edelweiss

Post by Edelweiss » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Does anyone know what the current waiting time is for a new passport. My passport expires in May next year, but my HSMP visa expires in April, which will mean applying in March. I don't think the HO will give me my extension if my passport is only valid for a month. The earlies appointment I could get at Trafalgar Square was for 10 November. That means I will have exactly 4 months, so if they are slow...

I am having a bit of a panic attack!

:(

a_bentz
Newly Registered

Post by a_bentz » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:30 pm

my passport took 3 months from the south african embassy in dublin. they are so much more efficient than south africa house in london. no appointments needed. just press the buzzer to get in:)

paul120
Newly Registered

Post by paul120 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:01 pm

sorry..i am not getting you..please be more clear.

Melinita
Newly Registered

South African passport

Post by Melinita » Fri May 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Can anyone please let me know how far in advance can you apply for your passport? I am in a position to apply for my British Citizenship but my SA passport expires in Sept - 09 - would it be advisable to apply for the SA one first?

Any help would be appreciated as our embassy is not picking up the phones! :wink:

moniquebrogan
Newly Registered

More renewal questions

Post by moniquebrogan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been covered but I am due to go into SA House and renew my passport at the end of July but am terrified of missing something out and then having to make another appointment!

Firstly, I see you need 2 certified copies of your British visa but the main reason I am able to stay here is that I have an Irish passport; do I then need 2 certified copies of that? If so, do they certify them at SA House or should I do this beforehand? I already have a letter from the Irish embassy detailing that I have an Irish passport etc, so will that be enough? Also, does one need to get one's photos certified?

Also, it seemed a bit garbled on the website but do they certify the copies of your bio-data page of your passport for you when you get to South Africa House or do you need to do this beforehand?

Thanks,

freddyflintstone
Newly Registered

Letter from HO when renewing passport

Post by freddyflintstone » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:36 pm

Hello,

Does the friggin SA consulate still require this HO letter that apparently states that one has not yet applied for british citizenship.

I am about to apply for renewed passport for son and the whole family has ILR in the UK, and we are all about to apply for british citizenship.

moniquebrogan
Newly Registered

When will I get my new passport?

Post by moniquebrogan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi all,

Firstly, I applied for a renewed passport on 22 July and am now anxious to book my flights/give up my job/give notice on my flat but I don't want to do this too early. I have tried to call the numbers on the website but they are all out of order, and have sent an email to tibak@foreign.gov.za but have had no joy. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get your passport back, and also does anyone know how else I can contact the SAHC. I am desperate!

Another thing, regarding this HO letter: I spent £75 on it and then found that it is no longer necessary, so don't worry about doing that.

andred
Newly Registered

I got my South African Passport Renewed in 2 Weeks from the

Post by andred » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Hey dudes

Dont stress... I've been in your situation and still managed to get my South African Passport renewed within 2 weeks.

Last year I had to travel to South Africa for a very important business opportunity - If I had missed it, I could have potentialy lost alot of money!

I needed to travel within the next month, but the problem was that my passport was out of pages and could not travel overseas with it.

I went to the South African Consulate in London where I waited for more than an hour to find out that it would take them around 6 months to replace my passport.

I was in a bit of a tight spot. I informed the company that I was visiting in South Africa about my problem. They called me back and told me to get in contact with a UK based company called spammer and they will be able to replace my Passport within 2 weeks.

I called and met with spammer where they guided me through the process. They submitted my application for me and within the 2 weeks as they promised, my passport was ready for me to collect!

I really recomend any South African who is in the same situation I was in to give them a call.

Check out their site:
www.southafricanpassports.com or www.spammer.com

or call them on +44 (0) 208 123 9436 or +44 (0) 785 431 4108

JMi
Newly Registered

Post by JMi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Just want to endorse this firm - spammer - http://www.spammer.com
They did exactly what they claimed to be able to do, but did it quicker. They kept me informed the whole time on what was going on and I was able to track the application on the Home Affairs web site in South Africa. Yes, it's a lot of money, but for me it was very good value because I live so far away from the SA Embassy in London and because I needed it within a couple of weeks.
Highly, highly recommended.