ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

commonwealth citizens joining the army

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

anish18sudhakar
Newly Registered

commonwealth citizens joining the army

Post by anish18sudhakar » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:45 pm

Hi does anyone know that as a commonwealth citizen joining the army gets you permanent residence or british citizenship it would be a big help if anyone can respond

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:03 pm

You will not get ILR upon enlistment - you will however be exempted from control (time limits and conditions) under section 8 of the 1971 Immigration Act during your time with the armed forces except for liability to deportation. After being discharged from the AF you are required to submit your passport and have your stay regularised i.e. get a new status. The Home Office will consider 4 years of employment in the AF for an ILR application - I believe this is the minimum length of service anyway.

It used to be you got ILR on enlistment but too many people 'abusing' this and leaving the AF soon after. Note that you need to meet minimal fitness and security standards. Also your career progression is pretty limited if you do not have a British type high school education i.e. GCSE's, GCE's so you are stuck as a NCO. Other issues you need to be aware is that you are subject to military law (higher standard than civil law) at all times during your enlistment and are not eligible to partake in any strike action.

Good Luck