ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Route of getting Irish passport in UK for newborn

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

HSE

Route of getting Irish passport in UK for newborn

Post by HSE » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:59 am

Dear All,

Me and my wife are Irish citizens via naturalisation. We have only this nationality now with us and as our coutry doesnt allow dual nationalities.

My wife is expecting now and we are living in UK for the time being and planning to come back next year hopefully to Ireland.

My question is how can I achieve an Irisj passport for our newborn child.

I know I need to register the baby with Irish embassy London but then what will be the next step. Can any one specify that please.

Many Thanks

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:32 am

After getting Foreign Birth Registration (not needed if child is born in Northern Ireland), apply for an Irish passport.

As long as you are "ordinarily resident" in the United Kingdom, child will also be a British citizen by birth. Normally a British passport should be acceptable proof.

HSE

route for getting Irish passport for newborn in uk

Post by HSE » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:51 pm

Dear JAJ,

Thanks a million for your advice mate.

We are in UK only since july 2010 and probably will stay till july 2012. my wife is expecting in march 2012.

You mentioned that baby can eligible for UK citizenship , even though we are only in this country for 12 months. can you highlight that please.

We are in main land UK not in northern Ireland so all process will be through Irish embassy London I guess. They have long waiting to process foreign birth registration around 3-6 months.

Therefore time frame wise its not the best time as delivery time is around march, our big move might be in july 2012 and i dont know whether til lthat time we will be able to get an Irish passport for the baby. But again if I can apply for british passport which I know is a bit faster to get, yes i might get it for the time being until I will achieve Irish passport.

Can you or any one comment on it please.

Best Wishes

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Child will be Irish by descent and British otherwise than by descent.

In the UK, it's quicker to obtain a British passport than it is an Irish passport.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

HSE

Post by HSE » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks Ben and others,

but i couldnt find any link which specify that Irish national citizens living in UK are eligible automatically for british citizenship for their newborn who was born in UK. Can you pass me some link with information

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_174145

link above doesnt specify Irish citizens for eligibility.

Best Wishes

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:31 pm

I'm not on the computer at the minute so I can't search for the links to prove it, but in a nutshell an Irish citizen is considered to be "present and settled" in the UK, for the purpose of the Immigration Rules, from the first day he enters the UK for the purpose of being ordinarily resident. (I.E., if an Irish citizen moves to the UK in order to live there).

A child born in the UK to at least one parent who is "present and settled" in the UK is a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

HSE

Post by HSE » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:26 am

Thanks a million for your help. make sense ....

God bless

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:31 pm

JAJ wrote:After getting Foreign Birth Registration (not needed if child is born in Northern Ireland), apply for an Irish passport.

As long as you are "ordinarily resident" in the United Kingdom, child will also be a British citizen by birth. Normally a British passport should be acceptable proof.
When you register the baby, it is worth getting several copies of the birth certificate LONG FORM. They cost about £6 each when you register the baby and more money and more hassle later.

Since the baby is born in the UK to Irish parents, then you can directly apply for a UK passport. Forms available from IPS.

For the Irish stuff, you need to apply for the Foreign Birth Registration and passport from the Irish embassy. http://www.embassyofireland.co.uk/home/ ... x?id=33742

angelcountry
BANNED

Re: Route of getting Irish passport in UK for newborn

Post by angelcountry » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:30 pm

HSE wrote:Dear All,

Me and my wife are Irish citizens via naturalisation. We have only this nationality now with us and as our coutry doesnt allow dual nationalities.

My wife is expecting now and we are living in UK for the time being and planning to come back next year hopefully to Ireland.

My question is how can I achieve an Irisj passport for our newborn child.

I know I need to register the baby with Irish embassy London but then what will be the next step. Can any one specify that please.

Many Thanks
Log on here, and see what we can offer you www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=263
Reality and Proof can make a case in accordance with the fix rule custom and principle.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:34 pm

angelcountry wrote:Log on here, and see what we can offer you www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=263
I'm afraid that page is not relevant. The child is to be born in Britain.

angelcountry
BANNED

Post by angelcountry » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:05 am

Ben wrote:
angelcountry wrote:Log on here, and see what we can offer you www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=263
I'm afraid that page is not relevant. The child is to be born in Britain.
Boooooo.
Reality and Proof can make a case in accordance with the fix rule custom and principle.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:32 am

Thanks for your valuable contribution.

angelcountry
BANNED

Post by angelcountry » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:26 am

Ben wrote:Thanks for your valuable contribution.
Seriously check www.dfa.ie