ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council Tax

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Louby Lou
Newly Registered

Council Tax

Post by Louby Lou » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:06 pm

I am not sure if this is the right place for this query- so apologies if it should be elsewhere.
My husband got his visa and is now in the UK. We are in the process of getting him established here and also thinking already about the ILR process. We live in Edinburgh and I have been in touch with the council about Council Tax 3 times so far! They are now saying that as I am the owner occupier I hold greater liability for the Council Tax and as such only my name can appear on the bill (if it was a joint tenancy this would not be the case).
This seems to then be preventing us from doing any of the other things like registering with GP, opening bank account etc. Does anyone have any suggestions, I don't want to have to send his passport away to apply for a Drivers licence yet as we may need it for job hunting etc.
My second question is about NI no. We completed paper application and sent it off but I ma seeing widely varying waiting times. Anyone have recent experience of paper application (ie not via interview)?
Thanks.

zayed.husain
Newly Registered

council issues

Post by zayed.husain » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:43 pm

i had the same issues with council previously and i understand what you mean when you say you want to get your partner established here in the uk. you should make it a point that your partner is registered with the electoral register and speak to the council again saying that your partner has got a job and from now on he will pay half the council tax bill. i am not sure about your other NI queries :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Unless you husband is entitled to vote, you won't be able to add him to the electoral role.
If your Council is still resistant to adding his name, you have may other options for showing joint accounts, Utility bills, telephone, gym membership etc. You could put the TV licence in his name. Not everything has to be shown as joint.
He start work legally without an NI number by the way. Often the new employer is able to speed up the application/interview process. Have you tried calling your local Job Centre Plus centre?
If your GP's surgery refuse to register him without sight of a Council tax statement, contact your nearest NHS Trust for their assistance.

Louby Lou
Newly Registered

Post by Louby Lou » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks Casa. It's like ever decreasing circles trying to get these things done. Will bash on.
L

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:47 pm

I know the feeling. I've been there! :wink: