ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

advice needed - complicated case

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

argenty
Newly Registered

advice needed - complicated case

Post by argenty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:30 am

I have been living in Ireland for 5 years now. And now I’m thinking of to apply for Irish citizenship, but my case is quite complex. So I need an advice on how to apply correctly and to explain my circumstances to INIS.
When I arrived to Ireland in 2006 I was holding 2 citizenships – Latvian (first citizenship) and Canadian obtained 10 years ago (I moved there from my country Latvia).
I entered Ireland with Latvian passport. In 2008 my Latvian passport expired and I applied for the new one in Latvian embassy. I didn’t get the new Latvian passport because the new Latvian citizenship law doesn’t allow 2 citizenships. So, according to the new law, Latvian citizen who obtains any other country’s citizenship loose Latvian citizenship. So my Latvian citizenship has been lost due to obtaining the canadian 10 years ago. And now I’m holding the Canadian citizenship only. As I wasn’t EU any longer I applied for work permit and got it, also I got GNIB stamp 1.
Now I have 5 years of residence in total (1,5 as Latvian and 3,5 as Canadian with stamp 1) and considering of applying for Irish citizenship. In one hand I’m already eligible to apply after 60 months of living and working here. However, I’m afraid my so complicated explaining of two previous citizenships and then loosing EU one, just will scary INIS and I will get refused.
In other hand I can wait 1,5 years to complete 5 years on stamp1 as Canadian only and just skip this story with loosing Latvian citizenship. I'm almost convinced to go this way, but not sure if it’ll help to avoid troubles.
Any advice will be appreciated!

aya101

Post by aya101 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:27 pm

i think that yo have lost the lativan citizenship you should consider yourself like a canidan citizen applying for irish citizenship without mentioning that you have had a diiferent citizenship