ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british madate and trust territories -british citizens

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zinao
United Kingdom

british madate and trust territories -british citizens

Post by zinao » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:24 am

hi

my dad was born in the british southern cameroons which was firstly at the time of his birth was a british madate but later befoore 1961 became a brithsh trust territory. it was later given to cameroon.

did he gain cukc at any time?or british passport

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:33 pm

My understanding is that those with a link to a trust territory rather than colony (and no other link to the UK or one of the colonies of the time) were British Protected Persons rather than Citizens of the UK and Colonies.

Did your father gain citizenship of the Republic of Cameroon when Southern Cameroons became part of the Republic of Cameroon? If so, then he most likely lost his status as a British Protected Person at that time.

zinao
United Kingdom

Post by zinao » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:00 am

JulesN19 wrote:My understanding is that those with a link to a trust territory rather than colony (and no other link to the UK or one of the colonies of the time) were British Protected Persons rather than Citizens of the UK and Colonies.

Did your father gain citizenship of the Republic of Cameroon when Southern Cameroons became part of the Republic of Cameroon? If so, then he most likely lost his status as a British Protected Person at that time.

all i know is that he had a british subject passport. however my perternal grandfather was born in nigeria and possibly had cukc until independece in 1960. the weird thing about it is that my dad was allowed to renew his british subject passport in 1961, after nigerian independece.

no he did not gain citizennship of cameroon as being born there alone a person not acquire it. in terms of connection to the uk, my half sister was born here in 1958.