ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long Home office takes for decision ?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zafarzafar80

How long Home office takes for decision ?

Post by zafarzafar80 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Dear All,
I have another question if some body could assist me please.

How long Home Office takes to grant the 2 years spouse visa based on the marriage to British national ?

And second question is: Does the same day visa service also available to get a spouse visa ?

Thanks in advance.

STLewis

Post by STLewis » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:25 pm

This depends on which country you are applying from, you will probably be able to find a "Guide for Processing Times" on the VAC website where you submitted your application.

However, if you are planning to apply from within the UK, as I suspect from a previous post, I do not know. I doubt there would be much difference to be honest.

Just to give you an idea, my husbands took exactly eight weeks, from Cairo. Application was submitted on 17th March and his visa was delivered to him on 17th May. However, this was a straight forward application i.e no criminal record, never breached immigration rules previously etc etc. However I aware of some people applying from Cairo who are still waiting after nearly 12 weeks.

Hope this gives you an idea!
Last edited by STLewis on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:30 pm

It helps if you can keep all of your questions in one thread.
Your brother can either apply for FLR(M) in person at one of the PEO's for a higher fee where a decision is usually made on the same day, or by post, which can take anything from 4-12 weeks to process.

What Nationality does your brother hold? Unless it's one of the countries on the UKBA exempt list, holds a current IELTS certificate, or has a Master's or Batchelor's degree taught in English, he will need to take the A1 English test before he applies for the FLR(M) extension.

zafarzafar80

Post by zafarzafar80 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 am

Hi All,
Am sorry for not giving all information.
My brother is a Pakistani national and he is going to complete his MBA from Portsmouth University in september 2011 (Next month). He is currently on a student visa. He is a genuine student and he came into UK 2 years ago. He is in relationship with his British gf for the past one year.

If you still have any question, please let me know.

Thanks in advabnce and much appreciated your help

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:13 am

In which case, after he marries, assuming he has received confirmation of his completed MBA he can submit this with his application for FLR(M) as proof of meeting the English language requirement.
I'm assuming they are both over the age of 21.

zafarzafar80

Post by zafarzafar80 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks Casa for the prompt reply.
They both are 28 years of age. How important is that his gf should be working ? if she is jobless, what are the chances of getting his visa ?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:49 am

His girlfriend doesn't have to be employed, but they will need to show that they will have a weekly minimum of £105.95 between them after rent or mortgage, council tax and any loan/credit payments.

zafarzafar80

Post by zafarzafar80 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks again Casa for the prompt reply.
One last question if you could answer please.

At the moment they are not living together, but they are moving together to an apprtment next month. Would it be a problem if they apply for marriage and the registrar would ask for the joint utility bill / joint bak statament / or some kind of proof that they are living together ?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:13 am

Not at all. Many couples don't live together before the wedding. The registrar will ask a few simple questions about the relationship to ensure it's genuine.

zafarzafar80

Post by zafarzafar80 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks for all of your help Casa. you are a great help. man u should be a solicitor...lol

Thanks again

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks but I'll stick with the day job! :wink:

zafarzafar80

Post by zafarzafar80 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:14 am

Hi Casa & every body,
Out of the Curiosity, i heard that once you apply for a spouse visa, the immigration officials visits your home and work place. Is that correct ?
and i also heard they ask some stupid personal questions, Is that correct ?

One more thing i want to say " My bro is a genuine case" . i am just curious if that is true ?

Thanks in advance.

STLewis

Post by STLewis » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:35 am

I can only speak from personal experience, but nobody contacted my employer or visited them at all during my husband's application. Nor did anybody visit my home.

sweetmissy

Post by sweetmissy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:41 am

zafarzafar80 wrote:Hi Casa & every body,
Out of the Curiosity, i heard that once you apply for a spouse visa, the immigration officials visits your home and work place. Is that correct ?
and i also heard they ask some stupid personal questions, Is that correct ?

One more thing i want to say " My bro is a genuine case" . i am just curious if that is true ?

Thanks in advance.
Well my hubby is STILL waiting for the outcome of his visa... I recived a phonecall on the 08/08/11 and so did my employer.

My questions were:

Are you still married to Mr...........?

Does he still wish to settle in the UK?

That was it?! it almost seemed like a survey hehehe.. I don't know what they asked my employer, but my HR director said she just had to confirm my salary and promotion..

But like STLewis said, every case is different... some get calls, some dont...

Good Luck
Alhamdulilah for habibi..

Submitted: 19/05/2011
Recieved at BHC (Cairo): 23/05/2011
Call from BHC (verifying details): 08/08/2011
With Courier (24hr): 24/08/2011
**VISA GRANTED**: 25/08/2011
(Waiting time: 71 working days/ 14 weeks)

zafarzafar80

Post by zafarzafar80 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks sweetmissy and STLewis for sharing your experiences.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:11 pm

They don't make a home visit the decision is made on the evidence submitted. Although some couples do, they really wouldn't be expected to live together before they were married.