ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

timeline to enter UK after obtaining Entry clearance (HSMP)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bhavna

timeline to enter UK after obtaining Entry clearance (HSMP)

Post by bhavna » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:17 pm

Dear All,

What is the time line to enter UK after after obtaining Entry clearance (HSMP)? I got my EC on 21st of Augus 2006. So can i enter UK anytime after that or is there any restriction?

Thank you very much

alex2000

Post by alex2000 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:58 am

Ideally, you should enter the UK within 90 days of issuance of the EC. However, this is not sacrosant as many members here report entering UK much later. The main challenge will be your 4-year extension upon expiry of the EC -RE: ecnomic activity in the first year. Relevant issues are if u already have a job lined up or how soon you will get one when u come in. The conclusion - come in as soon as u can practicably can.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:23 pm

Join our discussion on this topic at http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=9463

bhavna

Post by bhavna » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:49 pm

Hi,
Is it written somewhere that it is 3 months from EC. On the visa stamped it does not say that anywhere.
Also i even could not find it on the HSMP guidance notes.

Kayalami what are your thoughts on this?

Regards,
Bhavna

alex2000

Post by alex2000 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:43 pm

It was written on my HSMP approvel letter from Home Office - 2nd quarter of last year.

bhavna

Post by bhavna » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:44 am

I got my HSMP approval letter few weeks back and it just mentions that I should apply for EC within 6 months from the date of approval letter. It didnt mention anything related to time restrictions to enter UK after getting Entry Clearance. So is the reason for my confusion.

lanwarrior, the link which you posted is the HSMP guidance notes and it also doesnt mention anything related to time restrictions after getting EC. I says the same thing about applying for EC within 6 months of receipt of HSMP approval letter.

Any comments from any member?

Appreciation in advance for all the help...

sharmaa02
Newly Registered

Post by sharmaa02 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:34 am

Time limit for getting an entry clearance is usually mentioned in HSMP approval letter. It is 3 months if you are outside UK and 6 months if you are within UK. This was written in my approval letter at least. Not sure if it is changed now. Anyway, your question is entirely different as I understand. You are asking for a time limit after getting EC.

Once you have an entry clearance it is valid for the entire period for which it is granted and hence you can enter in UK at any time.

But, if you enter very late you will be able to start late and hence may not be sufficiently active while applying for an extension. Hence it will be at the discretion of the home office to grant you an extension or not. If you are able to prove that you have better prospects and will be economically active soon then they may give an extension of 1 year (instead of 4 years) additionally to see your performance further. Otherwise normally people will get full extension.

I guess you got an initial visa of 2 years as per new rules which gives you sufficient time to plan back at home and hence you can afford to enter late as compared to previous rule of giving visa for 1 year initially.

Hope this helps.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:41 am

sharmaa02 wrote:Time limit for getting an entry clearance is usually mentioned in HSMP approval letter. It is 3 months if you are outside UK and 6 months if you are within UK. This was written in my approval letter at least. Not sure if it is changed now. Anyway, your question is entirely different as I understand. You are asking for a time limit after getting EC.
SHarmaa02, I didn't know that we ONLY have 3 months for getting an EC! I thought it is the other way around: up to 6 months to get EC (as in HSMP Guidance), and 3 months to enter UK.

Are you sure it's not the other wya around?

sharmaa02
Newly Registered

Post by sharmaa02 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:08 am

Ian,

I just cross checked again and the approval letter is with me. It says 'almost' the same. Why I say almost because it says to all people outside UK to apply within 3 months of the date of this letter but it doesn't say even 6 months for those living in UK. But, it says the letter is valid only for 6 months which means if you are already in UK then also you must apply or rather change your permit to HSMP type if possible.

sharmaa02
Newly Registered

Post by sharmaa02 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:10 am

A bit more clarification

But, it says the letter is valid only for 6 months which means if you are already in UK then also you must apply or rather change your permit to HSMP type within 6 months if possible. By if possible I mean there are many permits for which you may have to go back to your home country.

sharmaa02
Newly Registered

Post by sharmaa02 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:28 am

Ian,

Just checked the guidance notes for HSMP application.

Looks like this rule has changed now as I suspected. It is 6 months now for those staying outside UK. Again, there is no mention for people living in UK. I guess they can apply till the validity of the approval letter.

Please note that I got an approval last year in July. So its a long time after that and there are constant changes in this regard. I got a visa of 1 year where as people who applied after me are getting 2 year initial visas.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:38 am

Hey Sharma02,

Thanks a lot for the reply! I am still OUTSIDE of UK, so I was concerned on the timeline I have to enter UK (after EC approved). Looks like the "new" ruling is 6 months now, which is inline with what was discussed in http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=9463.

ashishashah
India

Time frame (Sticky please)

Post by ashishashah » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:16 pm

Right,

What we are saying that

1) You have 6 months to apply for EC once you get HSMP letter
2)After getting EC, there is no time limit(max. limit it 2 years) to enter in UK, but it is advisable to enter As soon as possible to get extension.

I hope the above statements are correct..If yes then ,Can we please make this sticky, as i see lots of Threads about Time frames etc and ppl. getting confused

Thanks
Ashish

sharmaa02
Newly Registered

Post by sharmaa02 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:42 pm

I guess we all have same understanding now. What do you mean by 'making this sticky'. Sorry I am new to this forum.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:36 pm

Agreed with ashishashah statement. Let's make this sticky.

Shaman, sticky means this thread is always shown at the top of this thread, so anyone can always see it and get the answer instead of posting the same thread again and again.