ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BNO entry...

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mat1z
Newly Registered

BNO entry...

Post by mat1z » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:32 am

hi there,
can someone who has left the UK recently to ireland, enter the UK again with a BNO passport :?: .

thank you.

:wink:

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: BNO entry...

Post by Christophe » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:12 am

mat1z wrote:hi there,
can someone who has left the UK recently to ireland, enter the UK again with a BNO passport :?: .

thank you.

:wink:
There is no formal immigration control between the UK and Ireland, so your passport will probably not be checked. When did you leave the UK to go to Ireland? Are you still within the period for which you were allowed to enter the UK in the first place?

victim
Newly Registered

Post by victim » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:25 pm

are you sure theres no border control in Ireland to UK? I thought there is a border control in Belfast? and Scotland?

How are you travelling ? plane/train/bus/boat?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:06 am

victim wrote:are you sure theres no border control in Ireland to UK? I thought there is a border control in Belfast? and Scotland?

How are you travelling ? plane/train/bus/boat?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

There are border controls at international airports in Belfast and Scotland, but not for flights arriving from the Republic of Ireland.

However you should check whether you will still be within your original 6 month admission to the UK. Going to another part of the Common Travel Area may not reset the clock and you could be an overstayer on returning into the UK.

victim
Newly Registered

Post by victim » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:32 am

what is a bno passport?

if there is no border control in belfast - does it mean illegal immigrants can enter easily? Not that I plan to......

Is France quite strict?

Can anyone please tell me, if someone had overstayed in the UK previously can the person still visit Europe, UK, Ireland as a visitor legally?

Will the UK Immigration have his details in their system that can be viewed by others officers at the airport?

Overstayers are not illegal immigrants right?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:02 pm

The Republic of Ireland and the UK, together with the other British Isles such as the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, form a 'Common Travel Area'. This means that there are no routine immigration controls for people travelling within this area in the way that there normally are for international travellers. There may be identity checks of one sort or another, especially on arrival in Irish airports, but if you fly from, say, Dublin to Belfast, or if you get a ferry from, say, Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire, you won't routinely go through a formal passport/immigration check in the way that you would if you travelled from, say, London to Paris. People arriving from outside the Common Travel Area to a point inside go through passport control in the normal way for international travellers.

All of this is fine, but complications for individual travellers can arise - for example, the visa requirements of the UK and Ireland are not identical and a visa for one does not allow entry to the other; residency (or the equivalent) in one is not recognised in the other; and people who have been admitted to one country as a visitor for a limited period of time do not find that the 'clock is reset' if they travel to the other country, and so, on return, such people may find themselves in breach of their original entry permission.

As with so many things in the British Isles, the Common Travel Area is a concept that just developed for historical and practical reasons (although arrangements have since been codified to some extent), unlike the Schengen Area or the Nordic Passport Union, which were deliberately set up by the countries involved.
victim wrote: if there is no border control in belfast - does it mean illegal immigrants can enter easily?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:41 pm

victim wrote:what is a bno passport?
BNO = British National (Overseas), referring to people who possess a category of British nationality on the basis being formerly British Dependent Territories Citizens with a connection with Hong Kong. BNOs are not British citizens and the status does not confer the right of abode in the UK.

victim
Newly Registered

Post by victim » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:16 pm

How do I clear my overstayer status?

How can I convince them that I am sure to return after my visit?

Thanks

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:26 pm

victim wrote:How do I clear my overstayer status?

How can I convince them that I am sure to return after my visit?

Thanks
You might do better to start a new thread, since this one started out as a question from someone with a BNO passport who wants to re-enter the UK from Ireland - nothing to do with overstaying - so people might not find your query here. It would also be more likely to get a reply in the forum about UK immigration, I think.

victim
Newly Registered

Post by victim » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:23 pm

oh ok - very sorry

Thanks

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:29 pm

victim wrote:oh ok - very sorry

Thanks
No problem - good luck with your question!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:23 pm

victim wrote:Overstayers are not illegal immigrants right?

Wrong .... there is no difference.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:06 am

JAJ wrote:
victim wrote:Overstayers are not illegal immigrants right?

Wrong .... there is no difference.
Well, rather, overstayers are one category of illegal immigrants.