ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TOEFL scores for Student Visa app

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

barbie1

TOEFL scores for Student Visa app

Post by barbie1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:01 pm

My brother is coming to the UK to study this September and the university of his choice are very happy with his qualifications. They are in the process of issuing him a CAS. I did some research of my own as things were totally different when I first came here myself 6 years ago and can see that the UKBA have introduced a TOEFL score requirement that must be met for visa purposes. Brother is studying as an undergrad with a total score of 100 however 1 of the 4 sections in TOEFL is 20pts as opposed to 21pts minimum as set by UKBA. The remaining 3 sections have been scored way above minimum and obviously his total score is excellent by his or pretty much all UK universities standards. The international admissions team at his university never brought this to our attention, I just found out myself so I have no idea if it is a source of concern as long as his uni is happy....I don't know exactly how thoroughly a CAS app is checked, will his uni simply "tick" that he passes his English language criteria or will they have to provide the actual TOEFL score breakdown and certificate to UKBA when applying for the CAS? Assuming he successfully receives his CAS from his university, will he be asked by UKBA at a later stage in his visa application to provide his TOFEL score report? Also I see the application for a student visa can be filled in only on the UKBA website. Will he have to present himself at the British Embassy in his country of residence at all? What about having the biometrics taken? I am pretty much wondering what happens after the online application and at what point will the evidence such as financial support etc.. have to be presented.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:58 pm

wow, noone can help or knows anything about this?!?!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Be patient. It´s a weekend. Language ability is a matter for the course provider.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:38 am

Lucapooka wrote:Be patient. It´s a weekend. Language ability is a matter for the course provider.
That's what I thought too but look here :
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

I understand this is quite recent and not much discussed here or anywhere at all so would appreciate some input.

Cheers

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Is anyone willing to help here?

Moderators, Members of Standing?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:23 pm

your brother would probably be better off speaking to the university directly in these circumstances to find out whether they are able to issue the CAS or whether they require further evidence of his English language ability.

Universities have discretion as to their method of assessment of a student's English language ability when a student is coming to study a course at NQF level 6 + (i.e. bachelors degree +) See para 115 Tier 4 policy guidance This means that they do not need to require a test from UKBA's approved list and they do not need to list individual scores in the CAS. Instead the confirm they are satisfied with that his Eng language is at B2 and he will not need to provide his test report with his application.

However in practice most HEIs will ask for evidence of Eng language ability in the form of an approved test such as IELTS of TOEFL and if they have seen this test and this is their method of assessment, they may list this on the CAS, as your brother's test scores are not B2 all around, the university may not be willing to issue a CAS unless he takes a further test.

If your brother has only just missed out on meeting B2 for one of the elements, the university may be able to conduct their own test for example an interview over skype (if the element he missed out on is speaking) or as long as he has an unconditional offer, they may be able to issue him a CAS as long as he completes a pre-sessional English course with them before he starts of the course . Much of this really does depend on the university hence why it would be better for your brother to speaks to them.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:15 am

Greenie wrote:your brother would probably be better off speaking to the university directly in these circumstances to find out whether they are able to issue the CAS or whether they require further evidence of his English language ability.

Universities have discretion as to their method of assessment of a student's English language ability when a student is coming to study a course at NQF level 6 + (i.e. bachelors degree +) See para 115 Tier 4 policy guidance This means that they do not need to require a test from UKBA's approved list and they do not need to list individual scores in the CAS. Instead the confirm they are satisfied with that his Eng language is at B2 and he will not need to provide his test report with his application.

However in practice most HEIs will ask for evidence of Eng language ability in the form of an approved test such as IELTS of TOEFL and if they have seen this test and this is their method of assessment, they may list this on the CAS, as your brother's test scores are not B2 all around, the university may not be willing to issue a CAS unless he takes a further test.

If your brother has only just missed out on meeting B2 for one of the elements, the university may be able to conduct their own test for example an interview over skype (if the element he missed out on is speaking) or as long as he has an unconditional offer, they may be able to issue him a CAS as long as he completes a pre-sessional English course with them before he starts of the course . Much of this really does depend on the university hence why it would be better for your brother to speaks to them.
Thanks a lot for answering :)

The university are entirely happy with him, they require a TOEFL score of 79 and he's got 100 pts. They do not have specific requirements for each particular TOEFL section and even if that were the case only one of them was marked down by 1 single point. They never said a thing about this, it's all in my head since I read the info on the UKBA website. He has an unconditional offer meaning they're very happy with all of his qualifications and are providing the CAS number for him shortly. I got really worried when reading that info online because it seems to me those scores must be reached for Visa purposes in addition to whatever English language and other qualifications you have provided to the university and that the university can successfully apply for a CAS but if and when UKBA finds out of the scores they might not issue a Visa at all when the applicant applies for one....now how they're going to learn about the score breakdown is beyond me...that is why I asked whether the university would have to send them copies of the Diploma or English Language proficiency with every student's CAS application....

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:08 pm

The problem is universities' entry requirements are not the same as ukba's requirements. Just because the university has given him an unconditional offer doesn't mean they can issue him a Cas. They are unable to issue a Cas for a degree course only unless they are satisfied that the student is at b2 In all four components.

The university/college do not send the students qualifications to ukba but they may list the English language qualification on the Cas. As suggested your brother needs to contact the university to find out what they intend to do.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:51 am

Greenie wrote:The problem is universities' entry requirements are not the same as ukba's requirements. Just because the university has given him an unconditional offer doesn't mean they can issue him a Cas. They are unable to issue a Cas for a degree course only unless they are satisfied that the student is at b2 In all four components.

The university/college do not send the students qualifications to ukba but they may list the English language qualification on the Cas. As suggested your brother needs to contact the university to find out what they intend to do.
They are satisfied his english is at B2 level but I don't know how much aware they are of this one point difference in one of the sections so I do not want to bring it to their attention...if it was an issue they would have said something, but they haven't at all, they seem to be happy all around. I am feeling more calm now knowing they won't send the actual certificate where they may have missed this bit or perhaps are willing to overlook. As long as they confirm for UKBA the applicants English is at B2 standard I think there should be no reason to worry...

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:17 am

barbie1 wrote:
Greenie wrote:The problem is universities' entry requirements are not the same as ukba's requirements. Just because the university has given him an unconditional offer doesn't mean they can issue him a Cas. They are unable to issue a Cas for a degree course only unless they are satisfied that the student is at b2 In all four components.

They are satisfied his english is at B2 level but I don't know how much aware they are of this one point difference in one of the sections so I do not want to bring it to their attention...if it was an issue they would have said something, but they haven't at all, they seem to be happy all around. I am feeling more calm now knowing they won't send the actual certificate where they may have missed this bit or perhaps are willing to overlook. As long as they confirm for UKBA the applicants English is at B2 standard I think there should be no reason to worry...
unless they have tested him in some other way then they can't be satisfied that his english is at B2 in all four components. they will be aware of the UKBA's requirements. As advised, your brother needs contac them to raise the issue.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:25 am

Greenie wrote:
unless they have tested him in some other way then they can't be satisfied that his english is at B2 in all four components. they will be aware of the UKBA's requirements. As advised, your brother needs contac them to raise the issue.
If they are not satisfied, how come they never said anything....why did they give him an unconditional offer? Why haven't they raised the issue with us...?

Just to be clear, I do not mind them testing him all they like when he arrives there, he just doesn't have time to sit the TOEFL again and wait for the CAS and VISA application times. I just want him to start on time, that is all, I am confident his English in general and this particular low score will be fixed in no time. I don't see why I'd rise alarm bells when they've said absolutely nothing regarding this matter. I feel like it's all in my head...

If it was to come to their attention I wonder how they'd get him to come to the UK and get tested here before starting his course when he has to go through the same Visa procedures anyway..

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:30 am

barbie1 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
barbie1 wrote:

If they are not satisfied, how come they never said anything....why did they give him an unconditional offer? Why haven't they raised the issue with us...?
they can give him an unconditional offer because their entry requirements permit this - it doesn't meant they can sponsor him under tier 4 and give him a CAS for the degree course only. Given he has only missed out by one point in one component, they may find a way to get around it, for example a short pre-sessional course or they may conduct their own test. As advised in all of my posts - your brother should speak to the university.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 am

barbie1 wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Just to be clear, I do not mind them testing him all they like when he arrives there, he just doesn't have time to sit the TOEFL again and wait for the CAS and VISA application times. I just want him to start on time, that is all, I am confident his English in general and this particular low score will be fixed in no time. I don't see why I'd rise alarm bells when they've said absolutely nothing regarding this matter. I feel like it's all in my head...

If it was to come to their attention I wonder how they'd get him to come to the UK and get tested here before starting his course when he has to go through the same Visa procedures anyway..
the university should already be aware that they can't issue a CAS unless the student is B2. You've asked for advice which I have given and you are not happy with it so are continuing to argue the point. If they are not aware and put the TOEFL scores on his CAS for the degree course only then his application will be refused.

They may be able to test him remotely - for example if his low score is in speaking or listening they could test over skype. They may be able to offer him a short pre-sessional course before his degree course starts and issue him a CAS to cover both the pre-sessional course and the degree course.

Your brother should speak to the univeristy.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Greenie wrote:
barbie1 wrote:
Greenie wrote:

the university should already be aware that they can't issue a CAS unless the student is B2. You've asked for advice which I have given and you are not happy with it so are continuing to argue the point. If they are not aware and put the TOEFL scores on his CAS for the degree course only then his application will be refused.

They may be able to test him remotely - for example if his low score is in speaking or listening they could test over skype. They may be able to offer him a short pre-sessional course before his degree course starts and issue him a CAS to cover both the pre-sessional course and the degree course.

Your brother should speak to the univeristy.

Thanks for your answer. I am more arguing with myself than you...just that we are not hiding anything from them, they have got the actual detailed TOEFL report and never said anything. It is the university's responsibility to check these things before applying for the CAS, our responsibility is to provide evidence of whatever qualifications they ask for.

Also why are you so confident that universities always comply to the rules? I guess if they were to say he is a B2 student which by the likes of it they will, no one will question it. It will probably be wrong on their part, but we sure as...are not to blame for deceiving UKBA in any way. And if it wasn't for me to research this my brother wouldn't even know so he'd be completely clueless in the matter. That is why it is the international admissions job to make people aware of such facts..

My final decision is to try sorting this out when and if it become a problem and not kick a fuss myself as I've learnt the hard way...

Cheers