ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in Edinburgh

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

oneway

Life in Edinburgh

Post by oneway » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:11 am

Hi,

I am planning to move to Edinburgh. Anyone that lives in Scotland care to share your experiences about living there? I am self employed and won't be looking for a job there. I am more interested in the cost of living, way of life etc.

Thanks in advance!

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:35 pm

Been there last Sunday(20th) Nice place, House Rent is low, Cost of living is not that low compared to London.

nicholas_hzl
Newly Registered

Post by nicholas_hzl » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:37 pm

The air is fresh...light air...i miss those...

Nice architecture too.

exjennyaddict
Newly Registered

Post by exjennyaddict » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:50 pm

I lived in scotland when i was a kid and went to school in edinburgh. Personally i MUCH prefer Glasgow. It has the bad name which frankly has done it a world of good because the delusions of grandeur that people in edinburgh suffer are remarkable. Rent is low compared to london maybe but then everywhere has low rent compared to london. house prices and cost of living are not far off paris which is much, much more beautiful.

If I had to live there I'd live in the old town up near the meadows because the people are much more relaxed (if a bit studenty) and it's all much more cosmipolitan and less uptight up there.

Have a look at glasgow too though.

Richard

incidentally, don't take my word as gospel. everyone else I speak to seems to think the place is just lovely so you may well too.

exjennyaddict
Newly Registered

Post by exjennyaddict » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:51 pm

oh cirkey, i didn't proof it. sorry. i meant to type "cosmopolitan".

exjennyaddict
Newly Registered

Post by exjennyaddict » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:52 pm

hee hee. i did it again. this is getting silly. i'll stop.

ishameeque

Post by ishameeque » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:23 am

Edinburgh is a beautiful city.There are plenty of social activities you can get involved in. If you like eating outside then, you have a range of restaurants around princess street. If you like to pub hopping, then Rose Street is your best bet. The public transport is excellent in Edinburgh. Lothian buses provide a good service and for the 6 years i was there, i never felt the need for a car. I move into basingstoke and there you go, i cannot live without my car.
Cost of living is cheap but if you plan to buy a house then, scottish way of buying properties is different for what they do in England.