ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

do i need a visa to France with EEA2 residence card?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

europeanpol
Newly Registered

do i need a visa to France with EEA2 residence card?

Post by europeanpol » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:52 pm

I am a non EU national married to a Polish national. We both live and work in the Uk and We have a 2 year old child. I have this "Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA national" endorsed on my passport and this lasts for 5 years and will expire in October 2013. The thing is everytime we go to Poland, I always need to get a visa which is annoying and time consuming. Anyway the thing is my Polish spouse and I want to go to Paris France for a weekend (I have annual leave from work for 2 weeks) and I have heard that because my spouse is not French, I do not need a visa to enter France or any other EU country (except Poland) as long as we both travel together. Can anyone help me and confirm if this is true or not? we are planning to travel by Eurostar in 2 weeks time and I have to make 200% sure that everything will be ok. Any comments, suggestions will be very much appreciated.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Check the french embassy website. Everything is clearly mentioned in plain english.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:54 am

The rules are the same for all EEA countries.

Punjab
BANNED

Re: do i need a visa to France with EEA2 residence card?

Post by Punjab » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:22 am

europeanpol wrote:The thing is everytime we go to Poland, I always need to get a visa which is annoying and time consuming. .
You dont'e need a visa if you are travelling with her or to join her in any schengen country.

You will be alright. Just to be on the safe side keep a photocopy or original of your marrige certificate. some people are nosy and they might ask you for it. but you should have no problems relating to visa if above condition is fulfilled.

Ta

europeanpol
Newly Registered

Post by europeanpol » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks very much for everyone that has posted and given me some advice. After reading the French consulate website I have found out for sure that I do not need a visa after all. But what is worrying me is that i may need to get travel insurance. I am just going for a weekend away. This is what i read about the insurance thing:

What are the requirements for insurance?
Due to a regulation of the European Union (Decision 2004/17/CE of December 22nd 2003), there is a requirement to hold travel insurance, which is a compulsory document.

Does anyone know if it is really compulsory to get travel insurance to visit france. please keep posting. Thanks

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:30 pm

What you need to take is your EHIC.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:08 pm

they shouldn't be asking you for any other ducment except your passport. if you are married to eu national you don't have to have insurance paper but its advice to have it.
you can have european card which Guru had told you.

You will be fine

Take care and best of journey

sarwar74

Post by sarwar74 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:29 am

dEAR FREIND I WENT TO FRENC FOR MANY TIME WITH OUT VISA BUT GOING BY CAR SOME TIME WITH MY WIFE AND MANY TIME IM ALONE AND I NEVER HAD VISA AND I NEVER GET ANY PROBLEM TO GO OUT AND COME BAK.THANKS