ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bhavna

Student visa

Post by bhavna » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:09 pm

hi,
Would appreciate if somebody can give inputs on this.

one of my friend has a student visa valid until October 2004. She is finishing her course in Uk in September.

Can she start working in the Uk without a work permit ? Or does it need to be applied once she finds a job. What if she is not able to find job and her visa expires ? Does she need to go back ?

On what grounds can her visa be extended ?

Thanks
Bhavna

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:29 pm

bhavna

1).Advise your friend to go to the university careers office and get advice about job hunting

2). Refer your friend to www.workingintheuk.gov.uk website

3). If your friend cant find a job then obviously s/he would have to go back home - however, she can apply for an extension to the student visa for a couple of months as a Holiday in the UK...

...I dont know if that helps...

Good Luck
Where there is a will there is a way.

bhavna

Post by bhavna » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:59 pm

Thanks Chess.

I don't exactly recall but sometime back there were some concessions given to overseas students who are completing their degrees in UK ?

Can you please remind me if there was anything like that ?

Thanks

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:19 pm

There *was* a scheme for science graduates - but it appears it has been put on *hold* as HO have not metioned anythging to date....

..this scheme might have been forgotten during this rather turbulent 'migration year' which has so far cost a job to Beverley Hughes (Immigration minister), and there are still on going inquiries in the Bulgaria/Romania association agreement applications....

...I suspect the scheme may be resurrected next year - but I wont hold my breath due to impending elections next year :roll:

keep checking the 'working in the uk' website for updates
Where there is a will there is a way.