ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American in the UK already. Question about staying.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

isujackson
Newly Registered

American in the UK already. Question about staying.

Post by isujackson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi,

I'm an American and I've landed in the UK with my girlfriend who is from New Zealand.

We met while we were both working abroad and neither of us have lived in our home country for nearly 5 years. We have saved up enough money over the years and wanted to do a bit of a year long holiday by traveling around Europe.

She applied for and got a youth mobility visa and will start working soon. I start school soon to complete my masters degree. Luckily, I can do it online except for the final portion which i will do sometime next year in the United States.

My question is this, we will be in and out of the UK quite often to see the sights around Europe so how will that affect my general tourist visa? We had really hoped to us the UK as a sort of home base on our extended holiday.

Will the visa "renew" for another six months if I leave for a week or so and return?

Or six months from now will I have to attempt to jump through some hoops?

I know this is a bit of an odd question but I suppose this is the reality of the 21st century and a shrinking world . :)

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:17 pm

Last edited by vinny on Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Generally, you are limited to spending six months in the UK, or six months out of any given year if you travel there regularly. Every time you enter you may be asked questions about your reasons for visiting and returning after only a short absence. How you respond to those questions and the quality of the answers you give will determine in the mind of the immigration officer if you are indeed a genuine visitor with a genuine reason to visit, or merely someone who is effectively trying to live in the UK while on the status of a visitor. Good luck.

isujackson
Newly Registered

Post by isujackson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Thank you.

What I'm wondering is if the 6 months is set in stone or can I move them with my tale of expatriate love?

For example, if i just explain the situation to the ECO and prove I'm moving on from the UK at a specific time if I can be in here longer than the 6 months that is generally allotted?

edit: ok thank you to both posters above. I guess I'll play it by ear and worst comes to worst, we head to the United States earlier than expected.

isujackson
Newly Registered

Post by isujackson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:00 am

What happens if at the end of my 6 months I try to come back in a week later?

Is it an automatic refusal?

Also, would it be worth it to apply for a long term vistas visa for a year?

We've lived together as an unmarried couple for a year. Hell we share a bank account.
Last edited by isujackson on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:16 am

isujackson wrote:
Thank you.

What I'm wondering is if the 6 months is set in stone or can I move them with my tale of expatriate love?

For example, if i just explain the situation to the ECO and prove I'm moving on from the UK at a specific time if I can be in here longer than the 6 months that is generally allotted?

edit: ok thank you to both posters above. I guess I'll play it by ear and worst comes to worst, we head to the United States earlier than expected.
Move the UKBA with a tale of expatriate love?
Made my day, wot a laff.
The UKBA does not have a heart.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:17 am

isujackson wrote:What happens if at the end of my 6 months I try to come back in a week later?

Is it an automatic refusal?
Set in stone
.Automatic refusal.
Bye bye

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 am

No. The comment above is nonsense. Refusal is not automatic and and is by no means certain. It depends on why, for how long (although that is a moot point as the visa entry will be valid for six months no matter how long you say you intend to stay), what questions are asked, what answers you give, and the credibility of that story. Many people have no problems entering the UK in the circumstances you are describing but some are (often arbitrarily) bounced.

isujackson
Newly Registered

Post by isujackson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:31 am

So if I'm honest, use documents to back up my story and maybe have my missus speak on my behalf theres a bit of hope. Thats good.

The plan was to leave at the end of the school year in May or June for the US. Basically if we can prove we aren't trying to scam the government by moving here and staying illegally or working illegally that should do wonders to help our case, is how I've understood all the information I've read.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:39 am

It is not correct that they will give 6 months entry regardless of the stated duration of the visit. They can give less than this in certain circumstances.

So for how many months do you intend to stay in the UK altogether in the 12 month period since you landed.

isujackson
Newly Registered

Post by isujackson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:40 am

Greenie wrote:It is not correct that they will give 6 months entry regardless of the stated duration of the visit. They can give less than this in certain circumstances.

So for how many months do you intend to stay in the UK altogether in the 12 month period since you landed.
We would like to stay about a period of 9 months but not of all that will be spent in the UK

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:43 am

No-one can say for sure. An example of a situation where entry would not be refused: Lots of people from the US travel to the UK and then to Europe and then back to the USA. They tend to buy a round-trip to and from London. If they stay in the UK for a long time and then move on to visit another European destination, they still have to re-enter the UK to catch their flight back to the USA.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:45 am

Greenie wrote:It is not correct that they will give 6 months entry regardless of the stated duration of the visit. They can give less than this in certain circumstances.
Yes, In very rare and extreme cases where there is serious doubt about the passenger's intention; otherwise it is always six months or refusal of entry.