ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English requirement for ILR application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lizziet

English requirement for ILR application

Post by lizziet » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi all
I have looked on the UKBA website and this forum, but I'm still really confused about what my husband has to do for his ILR application. Does he have to do an ESOL course or only pass a test at A1 level? and what about KOL test? He isn't from an English-speaking country. And if so, can anyone recommend an ESOL course that doesn't cost a fortune? Our local college does one for £1200 and has no courses for evenings/weekends! We don't need to apply until late 2012 but I have heard of several people being rejected for not having the correct course/test :roll:
Thanks for your help.
Partner returned to own country 20/06/2010
Got married 17/07/2010
Appointment to submit docs 26/08/2010
E-mail from consulate pending further enquiries 22/09/2010
E-mail from consulate - visa has been issued!! 18/10/2010

zebra3

Re: English requirement for ILR application

Post by zebra3 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:01 pm

lizziet wrote:Hi all
I have looked on the UKBA website and this forum, but I'm still really confused about what my husband has to do for his ILR application. Does he have to do an ESOL course or only pass a test at A1 level? and what about KOL test? He isn't from an English-speaking country. And if so, can anyone recommend an ESOL course that doesn't cost a fortune? Our local college does one for £1200 and has no courses for evenings/weekends! We don't need to apply until late 2012 but I have heard of several people being rejected for not having the correct course/test :roll:
Thanks for your help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Your husband doesn't need to take the A1 test for ILR. He does however either have to pass the Life in the UK test (KOL) or complete an approved ESOL course which contains Citizens study. Usually adult education courses offer lower fees with classes during the evening. Bear in mind that the courses can be lengthy as the student has to progress from one level to the next, so he should really be preparing to enroll now.

zebra3

Post by zebra3 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks for your help.

your partner can take Life in the UK test.

check this link

http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

I used a book from Amazon called Which Life in the UK, cost me around 12.99 it comes with the CD, Plus exam fees of 30 pounds then.
he can do the test anytime from now, you dont have to wait until the time to apply for ILR. and he needs to get around 75% of the questions right. its 24 mutli choice questions

Good luck

zebra3

Post by zebra3 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks for your help.
thats the book I used and its even cheaper now

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Thanks very much for your help guys - I think he may have to do the ESOL course then as his English isn't that great (he needs a course anyway), but I will have a look at the KOL book in case!
Got married 17/07/2010

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:23 pm

If he decides to have a shot at the KOL test, he may find it easier to listen to the questions through headphones while reading from the screen. He has this option. He needs to cover only chapters 2-6.

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:10 pm

Thank you Casa, that is good to know - especially as he is dyslexic so he will need all the help he can get! The KOL route is obviously much cheaper so we have ordered the book and CD so will see how difficult it is before deciding which route to go...
Got married 17/07/2010