ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First time application for student visa, help required

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

barbie1

First time application for student visa, help required

Post by barbie1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:32 am

I have a few questions for a first time applicant:

-Parents will be applicants financial sponsors and will show relevant bank account documentation with enough funds to support their child in the 4 years of study. I read on here visas have been refused when the bank statements or any other financial proof are not accompanied by a letter saying that the parents will be willing to invest that money on the applicant. My question is if such a letter is necessary together with bank documents and in what format should it be?

-In the CAS of the applicant is stated ''High School Diploma xxxxx awarded from xxxxx. We have assessed this students English Language ability and confirm that it is equivalent of CEFR Level B2 or higher in each of the four components of language learning. No documents are required to be submitted as evidence of this.''
Does this mean that the CAS stating this would be enough and no high school diploma or English Language test (which have of course been submitted to the University previously) need to be supplied with the visa application? Would it be safe to do so?

-Despite the applicant having taken a TOEFL test for ease of the procedure can they simply tick ''Your sponsor is a Higher Education Institution, and has made its own assessment of your English language ability - Go to
Question 5.14'' and then ''5.14 Are you required to obtain permission from the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)? (See the Tier 4 Policy Guidance for the circumstances when this is required) Put a cross (X) in the relevant box.'' - no idea what this is or whether to answer YES/NO to it.

-If it is in best interest to list TOEFL as the English Language qualification and give further details, how should the box ' level of qualification' be filled in? Only the total score achieved or a breakdown of points in each of the sections in the test?

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 am

You need to read the tier 4 policy guidance regarding the letter required from her parents. She also needs to provide her birth certificate.

She needs to provide the certificates listed in the Cas- so the high school diploma should be provided. Are there any other qualifications listed?

There is no need to provide the toefl certificate. Tick ' the hei has made its own assessment'

what course is she studying? It should say on the Cas if she needs an Atas.

She should contact her university for further advice-most have immigration advisors there.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks for that.

Anyone else any thoughts please?

mia777

Post by mia777 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:13 pm

My mom was providing proof of funds for me. I got a letter from her bank manager confirming that the funds were indeed available and she also wrote a letter stating that she would be willing to use them for me. I also sent my birth certificate which proved she was my mother.

I don't know about the English language requirements as English is my first language.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:17 pm

barbie1 wrote:Thanks for that.

Anyone else any thoughts please?
The answers I have given you can all be found in the tier 4 policy guidance which your friend should read to ensure she understands the requirements.

In particular see

Para 114:
Where the Tier 4 (General) student is following a course of study at NQF 6/QCF 6/SCQF 115. 9 or above with a Tier 4 sponsor that is a UK Higher Education Institution, his/her sponsor may choose its own method to check that he/she is competent in English language at a minimum of CEFR level B2 in each of the four components. The Tier 4 (General) Student’s Tier 4 sponsor must confirm that the student is proficient to the required level in the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies. The Tier 4 (General) Student does not need to send in any documents to support this.

Para 127 Do I require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Clearance Certificate?

Para 189 A tier 4 student relying on money held by his parents

Para 120 If the Tier 4 sponsor has assessed the Tier 4 (General) student’s qualifications in order to assign the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, the Tier 4 (General) student must send us these qualifications with their application.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:18 am

Greenie wrote:

Para 189 A tier 4 student relying on money held by his parents
Thanks a lot for that!!

190. If a Tier 4 (General) student is relying on money held by his/her parents(s)/legal guardian, he/she must show that he/she is related to his/her parent(s)/legal guardian. Tier 4 (General) students must provide one of:
i. the student’s birth certificate showing names of his/her parent(s);
ii. the student’s certificate of adoption showing names of both parent(s) or legal guardian;
iii. a Court document naming the legal guardian of the student.
The document use must be the original legal document or a notarised copy.

191. If a Tier 4 (General) student is relying on money held by his/her parents(s)/legal guardian, he/she must also show that his/her parent(s)/legal guardian has given their permission for the Tier 4 (General) student to use this money. The Tier 4 (General) students must provide:
i. a letter from his/her parent(s) or legal guardian.
The letter must confirm:
• the relationship between the student and his/her parent(s) or legal guardian; and • that the parent(s) or legal guardian have given their consent to the student using their funds to study in the UK.

sanshuman87
Newly Registered

help u

Post by sanshuman87 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:45 pm

dude you need to get relevent bank documents every page should be stamped and signed clearly and if you r using you parents account then u need to get a birth certificate approved by muncipal corporation or affidavit from the high court and one more thing give all the academic certificates alongwith toefl score. I think this may helpa you because I have got the visa

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:52 am

Is this the right form to be completed by a first time applicant outside the UK?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -app81.pdf

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Anyone please help?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:26 pm

if the friend you are helping is going to a university I suggest she contacts the international student advisor/immigration advisor there. given the basic questions you are asking it is really best that someone with experience of such applications advises her on how to complete and make a good application.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:31 pm

Greenie wrote:if the friend you are helping is going to a university I suggest she contacts the international student advisor/immigration advisor there. given the basic questions you are asking it is really best that someone with experience of such applications advises her on how to complete and make a good application.

I got the answers to most questions now, simply wanted to double check that is the right application form if you could please help?
The international office at his university is not much available/ helpful as they are busy at this time of the year and because this is a first time applicant they are obviously still living at home outside the UK and can only get in touch with the international office by phone.