ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Full time work after course is finished?

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

divide_by_zero
Newly Registered
Canada

Full time work after course is finished?

Post by divide_by_zero » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:37 pm

Hey everyone,
My course ends in Sept and my visa is valid until the end of January. I was wondering if I am allowed to work full time after my course is done? I know that I was allowed to work 20 hours a week when my course was going on.

I am applying for my Tier 1 Post-Study work visa in November or December. From what I understand, I am not allowed to seek permanent work, is that correct?

Thanks for the help. Sorry if this question has been asked before. My net is being ridiculously slow so I didn't want to spent loads of time waiting for search pages to load.

Thanks again!

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 pm

divide_by_zero wrote:Hello everyone,
My Tier 4 visa expires in late Jan and I wanted to go back to Canada for Christmas.
From what I have read on the forums, it seems that the PSW visa takes around 5-6 weeks to go through by mail. I'd prefer not to fork over the money to get the premium service

If I were to apply for the visa in early Jan, would I still be allowed to:
A. Stay in the country if my visa is being processed and it is past my Tier 4 date
B. Work during the time that my Tier 4 visa has expired and I am waiting on my Tier 1 visa to be granted.

A random question:
If you check all the boxes for the PSW visa, what are the chances that your visa would be denied? Is there a limited number of spaces each year? Or are some degrees not considered good enough (I will be receiving MA English)

Thanks so much for the help!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Your current leave continues if you make a valid in-time application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

divide_by_zero
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by divide_by_zero » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:32 pm

Sorry for double posting, Vinny. I thought since my questions were about 2 different visa types that I would post them on different sections in the forum. Didn't mean to clutter things up =)
To clarify, I meant to post it in two different sections but I guess lack of sleep got to me and I posted it in the same!
Last edited by divide_by_zero on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:37 pm

That's okay.

Quick question: what's 0 divided by 0?
Is it:
a) 1
b) infinity
c) undefined
d) other

divide_by_zero
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by divide_by_zero » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:43 pm

I'd say undefined, but I might also answer d) other - end of the world =P

makepop1

Re: Full time work after course is finished?

Post by makepop1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:00 am

divide_by_zero wrote:Hey everyone,
My course ends in Sept and my visa is valid until the end of January. I was wondering if I am allowed to work full time after my course is done? I know that I was allowed to work 20 hours a week when my course was going on.

I am applying for my Tier 1 Post-Study work visa in November or December. From what I understand, I am not allowed to seek permanent work, is that correct?

Thanks for the help. Sorry if this question has been asked before. My net is being ridiculously slow so I didn't want to spent loads of time waiting for search pages to load.

Thanks again!
you can work full time after your course done

divide_by_zero
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by divide_by_zero » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:09 pm

makepop1 wrote:

Thanks again!
The boarder agency says this:
If you are allowed to work, you can work full-time during vacation periods provided this is not a permanent full-time vacancy (other than on a recognised Foundation Programme).

So after my course is finished, is that considered vacation or not?
I really want to get a full time, permanent job asap rather than waiting for my next visa. And I really don't want to break any rules.

makepop1

Post by makepop1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:31 pm

divide_by_zero wrote:
makepop1 wrote:

Thanks again!
The boarder agency says this:
If you are allowed to work, you can work full-time during vacation periods provided this is not a permanent full-time vacancy (other than on a recognised Foundation Programme).

So after my course is finished, is that considered vacation or not?
I really want to get a full time, permanent job asap rather than waiting for my next visa. And I really don't want to break any rules.
you are not breaking rules, you can work full time.

waldo3002

Post by waldo3002 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:06 am

You can work full time provided the job isn't a permanent one. The UKBA are quite unclear on this but speaking to immigration lawyers the former stands.

Read this post regarding my situation with my graduate employer:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=84631

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:20 am

Tier 4 students with permission to work can work full time in vacations and following the completion of their studies. See guidance for employers on preventing illegal working. Specifically Appendix D. As stated however they cannot fill a full time permanent position.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:58 am

you can work full time after your course finishes but:
i)the job must not be permanent job
ii)you must stop working after 4 months of finishing the course even if you got student visa left. check FAQ on ukcisa website for more info