ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Leo78
Newly Registered

Change of Name Documents

Post by Leo78 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Friends,

I wish to change my name on my British passport before applying for OCI. I know that I just need a deed poll for that. But not sure what needs to be done for OCI.

I had recently been to India on Indian Tourist Visa and got the affidavit for name change done there.
I 'm planning to use deed poll to change name here. Will the deed poll from UK & affidavit from India would be sufficient documents for me to apply for OCI for the change of name?

It is just the surname is moved to middle and first name to be split into First name & Surname. Please advice.

I have emailed whatever email ids that I could get hold for Indian High Commission but haven't got a reply.

Thanks
Leo78

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:03 am

Once its changed on the passport, it should not be a problem for OCI. Use the same document for OCI.

smoothturbo

Post by smoothturbo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi, I am in the same boat, I've been trying to contact the HCI for a long time but to no avail..could someone please confirm this before I proceed with the name change.

PS. Author u have a pm.

Ali.

skyguy
Newly Registered

Post by skyguy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:41 pm

I have changed my name after applying for naturalisation using a deed poll service and hence I have a new name on my British passport but my old name on the naturalisation certificate. My Indian passport also has the old name. I am trying to apply for OCI now. Is it enough I submit my name change deed poll(if so, does it have to be notarised) or do I have to notify my name change in a local newspaper in the UK and India. I am still struggling to understand how this works. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Shr
Newly Registered

Post by Shr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:55 pm

skyguy wrote:I have changed my name after applying for naturalisation using a deed poll service and hence I have a new name on my British passport but my old name on the naturalisation certificate. My Indian passport also has the old name. I am trying to apply for OCI now. Is it enough I submit my name change deed poll(if so, does it have to be notarised) or do I have to notify my name change in a local newspaper in the UK and India. I am still struggling to understand how this works. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks
Hi, my situation is exactly similar to the one above. Could you or anyone advice if deed poll and British passport enough for OCI application? Thanks

nehalbhagat

Post by nehalbhagat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:00 pm

I will request seniors to reply on this topic as it is affecting quite lot members.
No email response from HCI London or phone call being answered.

Please cansome kindly advise

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:06 pm

For name change in UK, if you want to make sure its accepted by UK authorities (passport office, DVLA etc) you can go to a solicitor and he can issue you a deed poll document. We have done exactly that the that letter is accepted by UKBA, DVLA ,banks etc.

nehalbhagat

Post by nehalbhagat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Have you used that deed poll for OCI ?

As per Min. of Justice guidelines and other people advises that you can write your own deed poll, don't need to do a deed poll via solicitor.

Whether any member advise on HCI accepted their self-signed deed poll document ?

kindly advise

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: Reply

Post by ric1982 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:03 pm

nehalbhagat wrote:Thanks for your reply.

As per Min. of Justice guidelines and other people advises that you can write your own deed poll, don't need to do a deed poll via solicitor.

Whether any member advise on HCI accepted their self-signed deed poll document ?

kindly advise
some banks / autority dont accept this. hence safe going via solicitor . worked for me. cant say its a norm.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: Reply

Post by ric1982 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:20 am

ric1982 wrote:
nehalbhagat wrote:Thanks for your reply.

kindly advise
some banks / autority dont accept this. hence safe going via solicitor . worked for me. cant say its a norm.
Havent applied for OCI yet so dont know if it works. Cant think why not, but then this is India

elvampiro

Re: Change of name

Post by elvampiro » Sat May 06, 2017 12:19 pm

Just to bump up this thread and ask if anyone has managed to use a deed poll and applied for OCI?

I have not done my deed poll yet, would it be better to get my OCI first and then do a deed poll?