ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Processing Speed of Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Reshma123
BANNED

Processing Speed of Naturalisation

Post by Reshma123 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Hello Friend,i have applied for Naturalisation with my 20month Daughter(on Aug 18th 2011),I have got a letter today acknowledging that funds have gone.I need to travel to India in Nov 2011(for a Course) and i need our applications to be fast tracked,Is there any document that i can submit to state urgency or any other way out please(considering after Naturalisation i have to do the rest bits too including Citizenship formalities before Nov 2011)

Thanks
Reshma

Nazia88

Re: URGENT : Processing Speed of Naturalisation

Post by Nazia88 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:56 am

Reshma123 wrote:Hello Friend,i have applied for Naturalisation with my 20month Daughter(on Aug 18th 2011),I have got a letter today acknowledging that funds have gone.I need to travel to India in Nov 2011(for a Course) and i need our applications to be fast tracked,Is there any document that i can submit to state urgency or any other way out please(considering after Naturalisation i have to do the rest bits too including Citizenship formalities before Nov 2011)

Thanks
Reshma
how did you applied via NCS or POST? there are no such way called fast track home office process application between 3 to 6 month.
NAZIA XX

Reshma123
BANNED

Urgent:Processing speed of Naturalisation

Post by Reshma123 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:28 am

NSC, please guide

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:38 pm

NSC, please guide
You can travel freely on your passport until your aprroval, which usually takes up to 10-16 wks.
You can return and then complete the citizenship formalities.

Reshma123
BANNED

Urgent : Processing speed of Naturalisation

Post by Reshma123 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks for the guidance, Can my baby daughter be out of the country throughout the citizenship process while I apply for the 2 of us(from start to finish including OCI)?[/quote]

xyz123

Re: Urgent : Processing speed of Naturalisation

Post by xyz123 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Reshma123 wrote:Thanks for the guidance, Can my baby daughter be out of the country throughout the citizenship process while I apply for the 2 of us(from start to finish including OCI)?
[/quote]

does she currently have valid passport and visa? if yes, then she can travel (i.e. situation is same as you)

Reshma123
BANNED

URGENT : Processing Speed of Naturalisation

Post by Reshma123 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Sorry let me re-phrase myself :

1. She has valid passport and visa to India now,i have applied for naturalisation for the 2 of us,can she go to India and stay there while i apply for the Citizenship process for the 2 of us(in other words)

2.also on a different context does my baby need to accompany me at all during the citizenship process(either for the oath ceremony or for the passoport interview,if she does not need to accompany me then she could be in INDIA too,right ?)

Thanks

skr27

Post by skr27 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:11 pm

is your daughter is applying to be 'registered' as British Citizen using MN1 form (assuming she is born here and you have got ILR after her birth), she can travel with you to India using her Indian passport and apply for her british passport when you get her registration certificate. If you are applying through the nationality checking service at your city council then you will get your passport and other documents back immediately (they are not sent to UKBA). so you can travel. She doesn't need to attend the ceremony, which is only for adults and therefore no problem of timescale between receiving approval and doing the oath. kids registration certificate will arrive by post.

You daughter's application for registration can therefore be independent of 'naturalisation'. So if there is anyone at home while you are away, they can collect the certificate and apply for her passport when you return. Theoretically this can attract a small fine from Indian embassy when you surrender your passport, if you come back from india after she got her british citizenship.

Hope that is helpful

Reshma123
BANNED

Post by Reshma123 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Many thanks for your clarification,Yes i have filled MN1 for my daughter and AN form form for me.So am i right that right from "Naturalisation to British citizenship to Surrendering Indian passport to applying for OCI" my daughter does not need to be within the country and i can do everything on her behalf ?(besides the theoritical fine)

skr27

Post by skr27 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Don't know much about OCI to comment about it, but I think you will have to surrender your Indian passport and have your UK passport before your OCI application. In any case once you have your naturalisation certificate (registration for your daughter) you can apply for UK passport from india I think and OCI can be applied there as well. Hope someone with more knowledge of can comment. good luck

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: URGENT : Processing Speed of Naturalisation

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:48 am

Reshma123 wrote:So am i right that right from "Naturalisation to British citizenship to Surrendering Indian passport to applying for OCI" my daughter does not need to be within the country and i can do everything on her behalf ?(besides the theoritical fine)
No, because to apply for PIO / OCI one must first surrender the Indian passport (after becoming a British citizen and acquiring British passport). And you cannot use an Indian passport after it has been surrendered (cancelled).

So, in effect you and/or your daughter will not be able to apply for OCI when either of your passports are not available to be surrendered.

But yes, both of you can travel using your Indian passports until such time that you naturalise (and your daughter is registered) as British citizen.

In effect,
Option 1: Apply for naturalisation (you) and registration (minor child) -> travel to India -> return to UK and attend citizenship ceremony (you) -> apply for British passport -> surrender Indian passport -> apply for OCI.
Option 2: Apply for naturalisation (you) and registration (minor child) -> attend citizenship ceremony (you) -> apply for British passport -> surrender Indian passport -> apply for OCI -> travel to India.

Using an Indian passport to travel after acquiring foreign citizenship attracts a penalty (per use).
Last edited by geriatrix on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Reshma123
BANNED

Post by Reshma123 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 am

Plentiful thanks sushdmehta for the clarification

Reshma123
BANNED

Urgent : Naturalisation processing time

Post by Reshma123 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:13 pm

can we legally travel to India either after getting our Naturalisation certificate or after attending the british citizenship oath ceremony ?(considering we can do the other bits later)

rnr79
Member of Standing

Re: Urgent : Naturalisation processing time

Post by rnr79 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:35 pm

Reshma123 wrote:can we legally travel to India either after getting our Naturalisation certificate or after attending the british citizenship oath ceremony ?(considering we can do the other bits later)
Once you attend the ceremony you are Birtish Citizen and you must use British passport unless other wise the other passport you are having from the country which allows dual citizenship...

If its Indian passport you have at the moment then you can not use that legally after ceremony....If you use that then if and when you apply to get surrender certificate then you will have to pay fine for each use (about 100 pounds each use) after the cermony

Reshma123
BANNED

Post by Reshma123 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks for the clarification.So i can legally travel to India after getting the Naturalisation certificate and within 90days we have to attend the Oath ceremony right ?

Thanks again

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:11 am

Reshma123 wrote: either after getting our Naturalisation certificate or after attending the british citizenship oath ceremony ?
You won't get a naturalisation certificate unless you attend the citizenship ceremony!!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Reshma123
BANNED

Naturalisation : urgency processing time

Post by Reshma123 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:14 am

Does my baby need to be taken in person for any of the Citizenship formalities or is it sufficient if I can attend it only ?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Naturalisation : urgency processing time

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:37 am

Reshma123 wrote:Does my baby need to be taken in person for any of the Citizenship formalities or is it sufficient if I can attend it only ?
Children are not required to attend a ceremony. If your application is approved, you will get the registration certificate in the post.

Reshma123
BANNED

Naturalisation : urgency processing time

Post by Reshma123 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks,Does the child need to be in person for any other part of the citizenship process like the British Passport Interview or Surrendering Indian passport or applying for OCI ?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:17 am

Reshma123 wrote:Thanks,Does the child need to be in person for any other part of the citizenship process like the British Passport Interview or Surrendering Indian passport or applying for OCI ?
No idea about the Indian part but for British part - No (there is no interview for children passports).

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:50 am

Reshma123 wrote:Thanks,Does the child need to be in person for any other part of the citizenship process like the British Passport Interview or Surrendering Indian passport or applying for OCI ?
you Do not need child in person while surrendering the Indian passport. Do not know about OCI.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:53 am

Reshma123 wrote:.So i can legally travel to India after getting the Naturalisation certificate and within 90days we have to attend the Oath ceremony right ?
And no.. once you are Naturalised, you are British citizen and you cannot travel on Indian passport. If done so you will attract penalty per use for travel. The 90 Days grace period is for surrendering the Indian passport and not for travel
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.