ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

some advice on job opportunities for this punjabi girl

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sunnymanes
Newly Registered

some advice on job opportunities for this punjabi girl

Post by sunnymanes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:51 am

Hi,

I am from Punjab and have recently got HSMP, iwill be coming to london next week.
I have alreadly floated my CV on all the good job sites, but still have not heard anything , Even if I get any call they want me to get back to them when I will finaly be there.
I am quite scared in reagrd to my new job, how it would be,where it will be, what will be the culture like, and how my interviews will be.
So many questions in mind and feeling bit nervous.
I am Software Quality analyst with 3 years experience in testing in reputed MNC in India.
I will appreciate if one could tell me about the salary I should normaly get according to my testing experience.

Pls.... help

Sunny

sunnymanes
Newly Registered

Re: some advice on job opportunities for this punjabi girl

Post by sunnymanes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:05 pm

sunnymanes wrote:Hi,

I am from Punjab and have recently got HSMP, iwill be coming to london next week.
I have alreadly floated my CV on all the good job sites, but still have not heard anything , Even if I get any call they want me to get back to them when I will finaly be there.
I am quite scared in reagrd to my new job, how it would be,where it will be, what will be the culture like, and how my interviews will be.
I am Software Quality analyst with 3 years experience in testing in reputed MNC in India.
I will appreciate if one could tell me about the salary I should normaly get according to my testing experience.

Pls.... help

Sunny

ishameeque

Post by ishameeque » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:38 pm

The agents ask you contact them once you reach UK because, it is easier for them to arrange interviews at short notice. So, if the client likes your CV and they want to meet you ASAP, then there is no good in you being out of the country, is it?. So, once you are here, get in touch with the agents and make sure to follow them up. Salary wise, it really depends on the location where you are going to get the job. Scotland has a lower payscale compared to london and the south. Usually, software developers get paid a decent amount. Testing, however, is not a very high earning field. You can except to get paid in the mid 20's and if you are lucky enough somewhere in the high 20's. This is keeping in mind that you lack UK experience.

ishameeque

Post by ishameeque » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:03 pm

Culture wise, UK, imho, is better than living anywhere else abroad. People are friendly and nice and i being an Indian, have never come across any discrimination of any sorts. The only thing is that, you should try to blend in, meet people and accept their culture for what it is and not compare yours with theirs.

Regards to interviews, make sure to understand what the job position is clearly and prepare yourself. When you attend the interview, speak confidently and clearly with some examples of your past experience and relate that to the current position, whereever possible. The employers believe what you say in your CV, so be honest and if they think you are good, then the job is yours.

simar

Re: some advice on job opportunities for this punjabi girl

Post by simar » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:21 am

sunnymanes wrote:Hi,

Pls.... help

Sunny

Given a choice make sure you choose west london side . Berkshire , hounslow, slough , reading area.
I did mistake to choose camridge. feel very lonely with no our people to see. It seems good initally, but then one feel like too home sick.
best of luck

indian_28
Newly Registered

Hello

Post by indian_28 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:41 pm

Hello

I am Aman this site.I immigrated to Uk 1.5 years back on hsmp with my wife.I am also from software field(Working as software developer).What I recommend you is that IT field is really hot and getting job will be just matter of time for you specially in testing.Somethings that you should consuntrate on
1)Your communication skills.
2)Try to apply to companies not to agencies.
3)Dont apply while you are in india(or take a 0800 number so that employer can call you but have have pay the bill)
4)In UK you can either join permament job or contract.
Minimum sal for tester starts from £30000 per annul and in contract £25 per hour.
5)After landing start your efforts for applying NI number and opening bank a/c.
6)format your resume in Uk style(more emphasis on work exp then qualification).

best of luck for your hunting
fellow punjabi
amansama@hotmail.com

ishameeque

Post by ishameeque » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:13 am

NI can be applied once you have a job offer on hand.
Please see this topic

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... +insurance

I beg to differ on one aspect of the above post. You should also apply through agents. Most companies go through agents and it will definitely be helpful to talk to them. It is my personal experience that agenicies do a good job of finding you the job. £30K?. hmm...it seems a bit optimistic. But again, it depends on the company and location and you being at the right place at the right time.

sunnymanes
Newly Registered

Appreciate ur help

Post by sunnymanes » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:42 am

Hi Guys,

U all have been realy Great help to,
I will consider all the points and keep in mind.
Will try in Companies and through Consultants also.
Lets see how good is my luck and how sooner or later I get job,
will inform u about the same.

Thanks!
Sunny