ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Financial support needed for wife and stepson.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cerjones
Newly Registered

Financial support needed for wife and stepson.

Post by cerjones » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi, I applied for Visas for my wife and son which have been turned down on financial reasons. Basically they didn't think I have enough money to support them. The person who reviewed our applications seems to have completely overlooked the fact that I have been sending £650 per month while they are in the USA. All this evidence was included in the application, all the payments highlighted in my statements. Although I didnt specifically say "If visas are granted that 650 per month will then be available for them to live on in the UK". It never occurred to me that I would need to spell that out for them. I also have a wealthy relative as co-sponsor, but they discounted that because I didnt actualy say who he was, although we have the same surname.

In my letter of appeal I want to write a section explaining the basic amount of money the UK government thinks a parent and child need to live on in UK. So I can show that I can prove I have already been providing that or greater level of support for the last 10 months, albeit for them while they are in the USA.

I found that Job Seekers allowance is a maximum ~£65 per week, but i cant find out how much you get if you also had a child to support.

Many thanks,

Chris

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:53 pm

If you need to rely on third party support you need to show their details, bank accounts, permissions etc. Merely mentioning that you have access to this money but not provided proof is completely pointless. If you can show the forum the exact wording of the refusal statement then perhaps someone can comment on how to appeal this. It`s not possible to comment without knowing the exact problem.

cerjones
Newly Registered

Post by cerjones » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:23 am

I appreciate the reply but I didn't ask for help with the appeal. I just wanted to know how much money the UK government says a parent and dependent child need to live on. It's probably my fault as I have a bad habit of including too much irrelevant information instead of just sticking to the point.

I have found the rates for income support, which i think will do for sake of argument.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:37 am

After you have accounted or paid for your accommodation and council tax costs, you will need to show that you have at least 730 pounds per month to cover your general living expenses and, additionally, have a lifestyle that is manageable on this sum. There is no point having this sum left from your net pay but then show a consistent negative bank balance. This figure is the UKAIT suggested minimum that would be permissible for an immigrant family to support themselves and is equivalent to means-tested benefit for a family of your size. Rent and CT would not be paid by a family on full benefits so that is why they are removed from the calculation.

Adult Couple 105.95/week
Dependent child 62.33/week
Total 168.28/week
x 52 weeks = 8750.52/year
/12 months = 729.21/month

cerjones
Newly Registered

Post by cerjones » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Thank you.

Chris