ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of income and ability to sponsor

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Abelel

Proof of income and ability to sponsor

Post by Abelel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:25 pm

Hi,

I have some questions about how to show that I can sponsor my husband to come to the UK.

I know that I have to show my bank statements for the last six months. However I feel that they are not indicative of general day-to-day expenditure as included is wedding costs and travel to Egypt.

I have read that I have to have £105 per week left after expenses which mostly I do. I have made a spreadsheet which shows my essential living expenses and then takes the extras out so they can see that I can manage It's tight though.

I'm worried also that as my business is small, my income is varied every month.

Does anyone have any advice how best to show my situation so that they can see a) we wont be having wedding expenses regularly and b) I will be travelling less and calling abroad less if my husband is with me.

Thanks,

Abigail

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:27 pm

You need to have 105/week (455/month) after accommodation and council tax. You don't need to have this after all your other bills are covered in addition to those. But then you need to show you can live on this sum. There is no point having that figure available each month, but then have a lifestyle that can't be supported on this amount.

Abelel

Money left per week

Post by Abelel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Sorry, I'm not exactly understanding.

Do you mean that I only need to show that I have at least £455 per month left after I have paid my rent and council tax (so it doesn't matter what the other bills or expenses are?)

I don't have any rent or mortgage as I own my flat outright and my council tax is £107 per month. I earn quite a bit more than £107 + £455 (£562) per month so does that mean that my situation is OK as far as showing I can sponsor?

Am I understanding this correctly? Sorry if it seems dim. I'm anxious to make this work for us.

Thanks!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Money left per week

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Abelel wrote:Do you mean that I only need to show that I have at least £455 per month left after I have paid my rent and council tax (so it doesn't matter what the other bills or expenses are?)
Yes, but obviously it matters if your other expenditure costs are consistently and considerably more than this amount as it means you probably can't afford another adult consumer in your household
Last edited by Lucapooka on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abelel

Post by Abelel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:44 pm

My general monthly expenses are manageable but I have had a lot of extra expenses, travelling, phone bills and wedding costs. This is what I'm worried about.

How much will they look at the bank statements to see this and make their assessment? Would it help for me to mention this for example in the sponsor letter as if we are together in my flat the expenses will clearly go down quite a bit.

Thanks.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Yes, you can mention that. I can't see your actual numbers but, generally, if you don't have a persistent negative bank balance over a six month period, and have a reasonable regular cash flow into your bank account at or above that previously mentioned sum (after the relevant deductions mentioned), then you should be fine. Savings will also be considered but anything under 2K may be assumed to have already been ring-fenced for the visa fee and flight and so is not really available to include as maintenance.

STLewis

Post by STLewis » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi Abigail,

I didnt actually submit a finances spreadsheet for my husband's application in Cairo. I provided wage slip x 6 months (showing £1,100 net per month) evidence of child benefit and working tax credit. However this was clearly shown going into my bank account monthly in my bank statements. I only provided three months bank statement. I also had £1500 in an ISA account.

The application form stated how much my rent(£370)and c/tax were and we were successful. Don't worry too much, as long as you have £105.95 left per week after rent/mortgage(which wont apply to you), council tax and any loans, you should be fine.

They could see I was spending approx £100 month on my phone calls to him, and I mentioned in my letter that I would be better off when he could join me in view of this and saving on flights etc

Abelel

Post by Abelel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks so much for your responses. I can't tell you how helpful it is to have this kind of guidance through the process. Its hard to know whats acceptable or expected and not otherwise. I also have some savings which will hopefully help as well, and like you also hope to show we'll be better off and saving money when living under the same roof minus the big phone bills and plane fares!

Thanks!