ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I claim benefits as a sponsor?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lupol
Newly Registered

Can I claim benefits as a sponsor?

Post by lupol » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:31 am

Hello,
My wife and I are due to move to England in the next month after receiving the fantastic news of getting her visa! :D

I understand that she got the visa on the proviso that I am not in receipt of public funds and that with her visa she is unable to claim herself but what about when we finally arrive in the UK? Does this mean that I am unable to claim any benefits myself in my own name? Since we will be living together I imagine that whilst she has no recourse to public funds she will, in some sense be receiving them through me as any money I get will invariably be used to support the two of us. I don't want to do anything that will affect her chances of being able to apply to live in England indefinitely.

I do not want to claim benefits but I want to have this option to fall back on if it proves difficult to find work as I have no idea what the job situation is like back home (I have been out of the country for several years.

I would appreciate any replies from anyone who has experience or knowledge in this area and thank you for your time.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: Can I claim benefits as a sponsor?

Post by mochyn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:51 am

lupol wrote:Hello,
My wife and I are due to move to England in the next month after receiving the fantastic news of getting her visa! :D

I understand that she got the visa on the proviso that I am not in receipt of public funds and that with her visa she is unable to claim herself but what about when we finally arrive in the UK? Does this mean that I am unable to claim any benefits myself in my own name? Since we will be living together I imagine that whilst she has no recourse to public funds she will, in some sense be receiving them through me as any money I get will invariably be used to support the two of us. I don't want to do anything that will affect her chances of being able to apply to live in England indefinitely.

I do not want to claim benefits but I want to have this option to fall back on if it proves difficult to find work as I have no idea what the job situation is like back home (I have been out of the country for several years.

I would appreciate any replies from anyone who has experience or knowledge in this area and thank you for your time.
If you are free from immigration control either by being born here or having obtained ILR or CITIZENSHIP, you are entitled to benefits but only as a single man.Once your wife is free from immigration control you will be able to claim benefits as a married man.So basically you have to support your wife until she finds work on a single mans benefits.This you will find difficult but not impossible.If she does not find work you are looking at 2 years on a limited income

lupol
Newly Registered

Post by lupol » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:53 am

Thank you kindly for your reply. I'm a British citizen coming from South Korea with some savings but I think these will go pretty quickly!! I'm hoping to get work quite fast but want to be covered due to the economic downturn and high unemployment.

I have no experience in claiming benefits but would just like to be covered in the eventuality that my wife claims ILR. I don't want my benefit claims to jeopardise her application. I'm not even sure what benefits are out there or what I'm eligible for!!