ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

overstayed & malaysian passport expiring soon

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nicholas_hzl
Newly Registered

Post by nicholas_hzl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:58 am

sure, I am a Malaysian ;)

secular
Newly Registered

Post by secular » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:41 am

lanwarrior wrote:If you guys don't mind, wehre do you originally come from? I was never questioned much in any other countries that I visit (Australia, US, Canada, Sngapore), so I was just wondering if this applies only to certain countries? I know that in US, the immigration checkpoint askmore questions for visitors from Asia countries.
There is a lot of facial profiling in US airports. US only grants visa waiver status to 3 non white countries whereas EU grants that status to about 20. The most disgusting thing about the INS is that they are happy to wave whites travelling without visas through and subject non whites who are travelling with visas to incessant questioning. I have a new zealand friend that was allowed in without any exchange of worlds with the officer whereas i was forced to produce a return ticket in Honolulu(I am a visa national and he is not)I do not appreciate being treted like a beggar who will endure any form of disparaging and condasecding tretment just to enter the US.

secular
Newly Registered

Post by secular » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:46 am

nicholas_hzl wrote:really? I was too afraid to go to Paris for a short visit when I was in London or any other place in Europe. That's because I was afraid if I enter London again, I may be questioned ALL OVER AGAIN...

So you think it's ok if I take EuroStar via the Channel Tunnel?
In my experience, Channel Tunnel is visibly more lenient because the officers will be of the opinion that if you are eligible to be admitted to other EU countries, then you should be eligible to be admiited to the UK as well. However, they are becoming more paranoid because many illegal workers from South America especially Brazilians use Paris as a loophole to escape the incessant questionings in UK airports. There are even Chinese nationals that travelled to Paris using false malaysian passports and tried to enter the UK via eurostar for illegal employment. I've entered France twice and the immigration officers cant be bothered asking me anything and many people do take advantage of that.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:49 pm

secular wrote:The most disgusting thing about the INS is that they are happy to wave whites travelling without visas through and subject non whites who are travelling with visas to incessant questioning.
Do you have any proof of that, I seriously doubt they will let anyone in who requires a visa and does not have one, no matter what the color of their skin. And just to add to that, I am not white and I have been through US immigration without any issues, or heavy questioning, and this was after 9/11, also I needed a visa and it was a one year visa not the 10 year one they usually give you. Oh sorry yes there was one issue, they couldnt find the country code for my home country (but the IO and myself figured it out in the end!).

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:05 pm

bbdivo wrote:Oh sorry yes there was one issue, they couldnt find the country code for my home country (but the IO and myself figured it out in the end!).
Gosh! Just out of curiosity: what country are you from? (I guess it's either a small one or one with an offician name that doesn't accord with its popular name, or something like that!)

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:31 pm

nicholas_hzl wrote:So you think it's ok if I take EuroStar via the Channel Tunnel?
Its common knowledge among UK Immigration Officers that many 'visitors' channel hop to Europe usually France near the end of their 6 month leave to enter with the intention of returning to the UK for a fresh 6 month period. Clearly it can be argued that the person is not a bonafide visitor...how do you survive in the UK as a visitor for a 12 month period without working? I have known many people get knocked back all the way to France or if they are lucky get a month's re-admission. '6 month loop' chancers are easy pickings for the IO's. The VWP scheme is subject to the same 'loop attempts' but has an added caveat of more or less ignoring your exit from the US with an immediate entry to a contiguous territory (Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean Islands unless one is resident therein) when seeking re-entry i.e. DHS will take the view you havn't really left the region and you are not a bonafide visitor - if you are really unlucky you will be banned from the US for 5 years.
secular wrote:In my experience, Channel Tunnel is visibly more lenient because the officers will be of the opinion that if you are eligible to be admitted to other EU countries, then you should be eligible to be admiited to the UK as well<snip>
The 'leniency' I believe is by virtue that UK immigration controls in respect of the tunnel are actually on French soil so you've been checked out already before you even board the train back. This 'pre-clearance' is a common feature of travel between the US and several countries especially Canada e.g. when flying from Toronto (Pearson) to New York (JFK) I clear US Immigration (DHS) and Customs at Pearson.

secular
Newly Registered

Post by secular » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:17 am

bbdivo wrote:
secular wrote:The most disgusting thing about the INS is that they are happy to wave whites travelling without visas through and subject non whites who are travelling with visas to incessant questioning.
Do you have any proof of that, I seriously doubt they will let anyone in who requires a visa and does not have one, no matter what the color of their skin. And just to add to that, I am not white and I have been through US immigration without any issues, or heavy questioning, and this was after 9/11, also I needed a visa and it was a one year visa not the 10 year one they usually give you. Oh sorry yes there was one issue, they couldnt find the country code for my home country (but the IO and myself figured it out in the end!).
No country will let someone in if they need a visa and dont have one unless they claim asylum(you dont need a passport to claim asylum if the country is signatory to the refugees convention). Most whites do not requrie a visa to enter the US anyway. The only exceptions are Russia and the former soviet republics. I have a few Australian friends and they were let in without any questions and i had to answer a few questions when i arrived.

secular
Newly Registered

Post by secular » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:21 am

Kayalami wrote:
nicholas_hzl wrote:So you think it's ok if I take EuroStar via the Channel Tunnel?
Its common knowledge among UK Immigration Officers that many 'visitors' channel hop to Europe usually France near the end of their 6 month leave to enter with the intention of returning to the UK for a fresh 6 month period. Clearly it can be argued that the person is not a bonafide visitor...how do you survive in the UK as a visitor for a 12 month period without working? I have known many people get knocked back all the way to France or if they are lucky get a month's re-admission. '6 month loop' chancers are easy pickings for the IO's. The VWP scheme is subject to the same 'loop attempts' but has an added caveat of more or less ignoring your exit from the US with an immediate entry to a contiguous territory (Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean Islands unless one is resident therein) when seeking re-entry i.e. DHS will take the view you havn't really left the region and you are not a bonafide visitor - if you are really unlucky you will be banned from the US for 5 years.
secular wrote:In my experience, Channel Tunnel is visibly more lenient because the officers will be of the opinion that if you are eligible to be admitted to other EU countries, then you should be eligible to be admiited to the UK as well<snip>
The 'leniency' I believe is by virtue that UK immigration controls in respect of the tunnel are actually on French soil so you've been checked out already before you even board the train back. This 'pre-clearance' is a common feature of travel between the US and several countries especially Canada e.g. when flying from Toronto (Pearson) to New York (JFK) I clear US Immigration (DHS) and Customs at Pearson.
I agree. someone will arouse suspicion if they use France as a visa run after their visa waiver permit expires. I didnt have any problem reentering because i only spend a week out the permitted six months in the UK before reentering for a second time. However, i was told that UK immigration generally will wave people through if they have a visa.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:30 am

secular wrote:However, i was told that UK immigration generally will wave people through if they have a visa.
Would you rely on that kind of information?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:31 am

secular wrote:The most disgusting thing about the INS is that they are happy to wave whites travelling without visas through
I think many "whites" with visa waiver passports would dispute this assertion based on their personal experience.

L_E_O

Post by L_E_O » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:34 am

JAJ wrote:
secular wrote:The most disgusting thing about the INS is that they are happy to wave whites travelling without visas through
I think many "whites" with visa waiver passports would dispute this assertion based on their personal experience.
I actually do dispute secular's statement - and I'm a US citizen! On my trips back to the States I'm questioned more than my husband, a UK citizen.

secular
Newly Registered

Post by secular » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:17 am

JAJ wrote:
More whites will concur with this statement than dispute it.

secular
Newly Registered

Post by secular » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:17 am

JAJ wrote:
More whites will concur with this statement than dispute it. I have spoken to quite a few visa waiver whites and that is what i was told