ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

legalise nikkah nama???

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

qawallified
Newly Registered

legalise nikkah nama???

Post by qawallified » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:44 pm

hello, wondered if someone could help me. my wife is in pakistan and she rang me today to say a woman nearby where she lives who has got a uk settlement visa about a year ago advised her she needs to her nikkah nama "legalised" - now we've had it translated and stamped/signed but my wife was told thats different and that she also has to get it legalised...can anyone shed any light on this?

qawallified
Newly Registered

Post by qawallified » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:54 pm

can anyone please help???

adamboston

Post by adamboston » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:30 pm

I got married in 2003 and had my marriage certificate translated and attested by the notary public in Lahore (stamped with golden sticker stating 'True Copy'). It was accepted without any issue by ukba on two extensions in 2007 and 2008. I don't know what does legalise mean but I assume that you need to get it attested by the oath commissioner or notary public in Pakistan.
Adam

'To me no human is alien - but to some no aliens are human'.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:59 am

Technically, legalise a document = apostille (It is an international certification comparable to a notarisation in domestic law).

For UK immigration purposes, notarisation is sufficient (if required, that is) unless UKBA / BHC specifically asks that document(s) be apostilled.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!