ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

For those who went personally to the PEO, how did you pay??

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fandango
Newly Registered

For those who went personally to the PEO, how did you pay??

Post by fandango » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:30 pm

I have got a bankers draft for £1095 and £155 (I have heard the fee is going up for the Set M form to £1250 so got two bankers drafts just in case.

I just want to know how did you pay? How did you get the result on the same day?
I can also ensure I have enough money in my Visa Debit card.
I just want the result on the same day you see and have now read that cheques take 5 days to clear!!
but paying by card takes one day to clear.

Can someone answer me please?

Much appreciated, Jo.

nksg

Re: For those who went personally to the PEO, how did you pa

Post by nksg » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:20 am

Any credit/Debit card should be fine for the fees...with exception of AMEX.

Modes of payment is mentioned on the application form.
fandango wrote:I have got a bankers draft for £1095 and £155 (I have heard the fee is going up for the Set M form to £1250 so got two bankers drafts just in case.

I just want to know how did you pay? How did you get the result on the same day?
I can also ensure I have enough money in my Visa Debit card.
I just want the result on the same day you see and have now read that cheques take 5 days to clear!!
but paying by card takes one day to clear.

Can someone answer me please?

Much appreciated, Jo.

fandango
Newly Registered

Post by fandango » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:55 am

hi, yes thanks, I have read methods of payment etc.
I just want an answer on the same day and not for the method in which I pay (probably bankers draft) to take a long time to clear.

Kind regards, Jo

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: For those who went personally to the PEO, how did you pa

Post by geriatrix » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:02 pm

fandango wrote:but paying by card takes one day to clear.
Not true. The payment authorization and clearance from the bank is instant.

regards

fandango
Newly Registered

Post by fandango » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:06 pm

sushdmehta - regarding a banker's draft, are you saying that this clears on the same day? I have a banker's draft in my possession you see payable to Home Office leave to Remain and hoping it clears in order to get an answer on the same day.

Many thanks, JO

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:11 pm

fandango wrote:sushdmehta - regarding a banker's draft, are you saying that this clears on the same day? I have a banker's draft in my possession you see payable to Home Office leave to Remain and hoping it clears in order to get an answer on the same day.

Many thanks, JO
bankers draft doesnt require "clearance", it is as good as cash.

you will get answer on same day with bankers draft or with debit/credit card. most people prefer a card over draft for two reasons
1- avoid cost of getting a draft
2- risk of losing the draft (as good as losing cash)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:12 pm

My post above is in response to the claim in your initial post that "paying by card takes one day to clear". The quoted text in my response indicates that.

regards

fandango
Newly Registered

Post by fandango » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks everyone
I have a bankers draft and I am pleased to hear that it clears on the same day then and is as good as cash.

It didn't cost me anything to get the bankers draft as I have a savings account so it was free...
and I hope not to lose them :D

Thanks

JO.

Hunter007
Newly Registered

Post by Hunter007 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi fandango,
I came across a post of yours above in this thread where you were inquiring whether paying by Banker's Draft at a PEO would clear it the same day or would be like a cheque.
My query is however about the wording of who you got it made out to - Based on your post you said you had it made out to "Home Office Leave to Remain" see below your post...did that go through fine without a hitch? coz apparently Banker' Drafts need to be made out to "Home Office" and Postal orders & cheques "Home Office Leave to Remain" according to the forms, something I missed out....I sent my ILR application by Post under Set(O) 10yrs long residence rules, 4.5 weeks ago with a Banker's Draft made out to "Home Office Leave to Remain "and got an acknowledgement letter too, however since there is no way for my Bank to tell me whether the Banker's draft has been encashed or not i'm really stressing, that after 5 weeks it all might go disastrously wrong and they send the application back as invalid...I sent my application just days before the expiry of my visa...so the consequences could be severe if it comes back invalid due to payment not being successful.
fandango wrote:sushdmehta - regarding a banker's draft, are you saying that this clears on the same day? I have a banker's draft in my possession you see payable to Home Office leave to Remain and hoping it clears in order to get an answer on the same day.
Many thanks, JO

adamboston

Post by adamboston » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Hunter007 wrote:however since there is no way for my Bank to tell me whether the Banker's draft has been encashed or not
Correct - today my bank told me the same and suggested to contact UKBA instead. Now I'll try to ring UKBA on Monday to get the payment confirmation, not sure whether or not they'll give me this info.

I think this is so unfair to people who choose to pay by Banker's Draft (plus the draft fee) and have no 'right'* to check if the payment has been credited or accepted by the receiver.

*According to my bank I have no right as it is between the bank and the receiver
Adam

'To me no human is alien - but to some no aliens are human'.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:14 pm

Hunter007 wrote:
however since there is no way for my Bank to tell me whether the Banker's draft has been encashed or not

This is correct, hence why would you use a draft to pay?

Use a cheque or a card, hence you can check if payment has been accepted. A draft is more or less used for a service where you may as well use cash ( but cannot send by post) and acceptance is guaranteed.

Hunter007
Newly Registered

Post by Hunter007 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:42 pm

gidoc wrote: A draft is more or less used for a service where you may as well use cash ( but cannot send by post) and acceptance is guaranteed.
yeah sure thing gidoc i agree about using a draft instaed of cash coz acceptance is guaranteed and that was exactly why I opted to use it and I would've happily not needed to inquire its status...However, now the only reason I need to find out whether it has been encashed or not or whether it will still be 100% accepted by UKBA is coz I made it payable to Home Office Leave to Remain...instead of Home Office

My bank manager says that its a very slight error and when it comes to banker's drafts Home Office should still be able to encash it given that their as good as cash...I don't know what to believe anymore and after everything meticulously planned and executed I realise 5 weeks after posting the application about this tiny thing I overlooked somehow and i'm so annoyed with myself

adamboston

Post by adamboston » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:50 pm

gidoc wrote:
Hunter007 wrote:
however since there is no way for my Bank to tell me whether the Banker's draft has been encashed or not

This is correct, hence why would you use a draft to pay?

Use a cheque or a card, hence you can check if payment has been accepted. A draft is more or less used for a service where you may as well use cash ( but cannot send by post) and acceptance is guaranteed.
You are absolutely right gidoc but we were under the impression that bankers drafts and postal orders are the safest modes of payments to avoid any delays.

Unlike Hunter007 I wrote 'Home Office' on the draft and I too can't get the confirmation. I'm just giving up on this and regretting myself for not using the debit card.
Adam

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi both adamboston/Hunter007

Have you both received an acknowledgement letter yet, the letter is generated only after the payment has been taken.

Hunter007
Newly Registered

Post by Hunter007 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:03 pm

gidoc wrote:Hi both adamboston/Hunter007

Have you both received an acknowledgement letter yet, the letter is generated only after the payment has been taken.
Yes I did receive an acknowldg letter, infact I received two of them exactly identical ones which i must admit I thought was a bit strange, they arrived in separate envelopes on the same day and both dated the same, just a couple of days after posting the application.

However, I don't think what you say is accurate to assume...I have 2 reasons why I think ackment letters are sent out irrespective of payment being cleared or not.

1. My Acknowl letter itself has a line which I quote "If there is any problem with the validity of the application, either because of the fee paid or another aspect of the application, a caseworker will write to you as soon as possible to advise what action you need to make a valid application."
If anyone else still has their acknow letters can you please confirm whether it has the same language?

2. I was curious to know how long have people waited in the past before thier application has been returned as invalid. I have seen cases on this very forum after carrying out a search yesterday night where I could read about Tier 4 student applicants or other applicants whose applications came back marked invalid due to payment issues after 4-6 weeks of applying and receiving an acknowledg letter just days after posting the application.

Am I wrong here do you think? I don't think "Adamboston" has anything to worry about, he has done exactly what was stated in the form unlike me. Thanks for taking an interest in our predicament and commenting so far, your comments are much appreciated.

I'm very curious to hear one of the Moderators give an opinion on whether the Banker's draft will be acceptable to UKBA or not given the slight difference in wording...Come on Mods - Vinny? Sushdmehta? Casa? your opinion here will be helpful! Thank You!!

adamboston

Post by adamboston » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:11 pm

gidoc wrote:Hi both adamboston/Hunter007

Yes gidoc I too have received the acknowledgment letter dated 19th July and telling me the same as Hunter007's acknowledgment letter.

Hunter this evening I rang one of my friends who works for Lloyds TSB. I explained everything to him and he assured me not worry as both are fine as long as word Home Office is written on the draft. He also told me that bankers drafts are as good as cash and unless they are forged there shouldn't be any problems.
Adam

Hunter007
Newly Registered

Post by Hunter007 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:24 am

thanks for the support bud, I hope your friend from Lloyds is right Adam...only thing left is to call UKBA on Monday

Hunter007
Newly Registered

Post by Hunter007 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:50 pm

Edited in retrospect on 12th Sept 2011, 3:55 pm

Hello,
I have good news to report back. In summary, I just received confirmation from UKBA that my Bankers draft was cleared for payment on the same date as my acknowledgement letter was raised on 12th Aug. The application has then been sent to Liverpool to one of the settlement teams for consideration and that is the status as of now.
Lesson of the story is to please check thoroughly every single minute detail relating to your application. And if you're going to use Bankers Draft or Postal order remember to make it payable to exactly what it says in the form and not mix it up like I ended up somehow.
I'll write a more detailed response below of how I went about confirming this for others on the forum.
Here's hoping that the email confirmation I recieved is the end of this matter and that I don't get any more unexpected nasty shocks like this one and just get my ILR soon. Thanks to everyone concerned for their assistance so far. Its much appreciated!
Hunter :)

In detail -
This morning started with being told 2 different answers on the standard 0870 Croydon number by 2 different advisers. After explaining, one said to just sit tight until UKBA contacted me as no possible action from my part could be taken. The second one said to write everything I explained to her on the phone and post it to the Croydon Lunar House Address and wait for a response.
Not getting a satisfactory answer, I then looked up the number for the North East, Yorkshire & Humber Region Customer Services & Complaints Unit on the UKBA website, since i'm based in Yorkshire. Link -> http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/about ... complaints

I called them, explained my situation very clearly and complained that I was not being given the correct answer and my intention was not to track progress of the application but just to confirm that the Payment Charging Unit cleared the payment through. The guy was very friendly (maybe I was fortunate) and heard me out and then said that there was no way for me to contact the Payments Charging Unit but he told me to email everything I explained to him clearly to the email address provided in the link above and mark it to the attention of Customer Services Unit. On receipt they will then forward it to the relevant department and I should then expect a reply soon (there are no defined response times and they can can take as long as they like).
I wrote a very clear and to the point explaination of the slight wording mix up I made and I made it clear that I did not want my application withdrawn or sent back. All I wanted them to do was to confirm that despite the slight mix up, the charging unit was able to encash the draft or will be able to encash it. I also indicated that i had been to my bank already and the manager their said that drafts were as good as cash and word mix up was still good enough for it to be claimed by UKBA if they try to do so. And since my bank can't tell me whether its been encashed the only option left to me after waiting for over 5 weeks and getting more and more anxious was to contact them and get some sort of confirmation that it was indeed ok.
I also attached scanned copies of my Acknowledgement letter, the Bank draft I posted and my last Biometric Visa Id card to show an intime application before my visa which expired soon after applying.

After sending the email, i got an automated response confirming receipt of my email. Not stopping here, I then went to my local Citizens Advice Bureau and spoke to an immigration adviser because I was wondering if I made one of them call UKBA whether they'd be able to confirm payment cleared on the phone itself. The adviser got fobbed off from the main Croydon number with requesting me to write a letter into Croydon. She then called the Sheffield complaints number that I had called earlier...luckily the adviser ended up speaking to the same guy as I spoke with earlier. He said that he had done some checks (coz he had my application ref no., name & date of birth) with the Payment Charging unit and somehow had the information that my Draft was cleared on the 12th of Aug (application sent 9th Aug). And also that the application was then sent to Liverpool Settlement teams for consideration, he told me on his own accord and I didn't ask for it. I then requested him to write me an email confirming this and he did. So now I have an email from UKBA saying that payment was taken on 12th Aug. to avoid any future nastiness regarding this. And before anyone asks there is no name in the email and neither any personal email address. Its the same email address I emailed to.
Thats it I guess. I hope this is helpful for everyone on here.
Kind regards,
Hunter