ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Applying for Mortgage

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Zhonor

EEA Applying for Mortgage

Post by Zhonor » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Has any EEA applicant applied for mortgage before? I was turn away because I'm not holding a PR or a tier 2 work permit. I don't understand why when I have the right to work! Can anyone advise on this? We have already found our dream house and got all the surveys paid and sorted!

EU_lawyer
Newly Registered

Post by EU_lawyer » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:25 pm

I would suggest that you try other banks since not all banks require EU citizens to be permanent residents in order to have a mortgage.

If not, you might want to raise the matter with Your Europe Advice. They can issue a legal assessment that you can then present to your bank and ask them to reconsider their decision.

darlene82328
Newly Registered

Post by darlene82328 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:24 pm

My husband (an EEA national) and me (EEA2 dependant) just got our mortgage via Halifax. Did you go directly to bank or mortgage advisor? I would suggest to change a bank or get a Mortgage Advisor

Zhonor

Post by Zhonor » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm gonna try other banks! They should have said that EEA residency visa does not meet their requirement before taking the money out of our bank for the mortgage and survey!! That is just unfair of them! I'm hoping they will refund the money to me cause it cost me more than £1000 for the product fee, booking fee n survey fee! They will loan to my husband who is an EEA national but not me!

Thx for the help :) I will go check out the other banks

EU_lawyer
Newly Registered

Post by EU_lawyer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Zhonor wrote:They should have said that EEA residency visa does not meet their requirement before taking the money out of our bank for the mortgage and survey!!
You will find that some banks accept a residence card as sufficient evidence. However, some banks insist on you having been in the UK for a certain number of years (up to 3 years).

Don't be discouraged, you'll be able to find a mortgage provider. Otherwise you may want to visit an independent financial adviser who can search for the best mortgage deals. You don't usually have to pay for such advice as IFA's get paid a commission by the bank.

Good luck!