ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Paid leave and self employment (limited company director)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lifofifo

Paid leave and self employment (limited company director)

Post by lifofifo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:29 am

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to apply for ILR (1.5 years WP + 3.5 years Tier 1/self employed) early next year and am a bit concerned about the absence from the UK bit.

During last 3 years, I've made numerous business trips and also trips to my home country. But as I am self-employed (director of a limited company), how do I show trips to my home country as paid annual leaves ? I do have payslips for those periods, signed by yours truly! Will those suffice ?

I have similar questions with regards to my business trips as well. I have invoices dated around my trips, for which I have paid tax in the UK. Should those be enough ?

Thanks for your time!

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:52 pm

When I apply for my ILR (which is a long way away) I am planning to put send a spreadsheet showing my absences and mark which holidays were taken while I was in contract to a client (and which were not, e.g. between contracts). The way I see it is that the contract continuously covering the period I was away demonstrates ongoing connection with the UK in a similar way to paid annual leave for a permanent employee.

I will get a letter from the client for any work trips stating that I was consulting to them via company [my limited company] and was required to travel on [dates] for my projects.

I like the idea that as director of my own company I can sign my own absence letters but not sure how this would be viewed by the UKBA.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Good Idea, Makes sense in a way ... Although I couldn't use it because I have had leaves where my contract ended on the day I left and extended (re-contracted with the same client) when I returned.

Presenting Salary Slips is also not helpful for me as I draw amount from my business account as and when required (mostly from previous months salaries that have accumulated).

Signing my own letter or getting something from the accountant remains my only recourse .

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:49 pm

How many absence days do you have between contracts? Maybe if you subtract work-related absences, weekend breaks, and in-contract holidays the remaining absences will be within limits.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:58 am

If you are a director of a Limited Company, you aren't self-employed.
You are an employee.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:07 am

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

fora

Post by fora » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:20 am

very often people are not aware:
-if u r a director of a limited company,u r - an employee of your own company.
- if u r registered as a sole trader- u r self -employed

Immigrant06

Post by Immigrant06 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:00 pm

But are you entitiled for the paid annual leaves if you are director and employee of your own company and getting salary?