ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 - Help and advice needed!

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hashmil
Sri Lanka

Tier 2 - Help and advice needed!

Post by hashmil » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:12 pm

I currently have a PSW visa which expires October 2012.

Currently working as a Graphic Designer as a contractor, but I'm in the process of going through interviews (a few offers as well) for permanent positions.

This is what I am aware of (correct me if i'm wrong)-
- I need to be working at leas 6 months to change from PSW to Tier 2
- I need a minimum of 20,000 GBP annual salary (i'm on 30k+)
- The company should have a Sponsorship License
- To get a COS

What I need to know -
- If a company isn't already registered, is it possible for them to still employ me under the PSW, and in the meantime apply for the Sponsorshop license and COS for me?
- If so, what are the related costs to the company?
- And the time frames?

- the allocations. I hear that there are limits to this - should i be worried about this?

Also my job is COS code 3421 Graphic Designer, but it is not listed here - will this be a problem.

I'm just super worried, though i've got a year (till October 2012). I have already got an average understanding from a lot of the existing threads on this forum, and honestly reading them has made me feel much much better. So if ANYONE knows about the above, would be really helpful :)

[/list]

Sheffield_Marketeer
Member of Standing

Post by Sheffield_Marketeer » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Any company is able to employ you now because you have a PSW visa, which is valid until Oct 2012. if they are not registered, they can apply to become registered in the sponsor list and then sponsor you, as long as they are willing to do the same.

As long as you
1. work for a min of 6 months with them
2. earn atleast or more than what's required of you
3. your job title matches or is as close to the one in the code of practice,
you should be able to get a Cos easily

Pls note that the limit of 20,700 applies to people entering the country and not people who are applying from within the UK.

As far as I know, the cost of being within the register of sponsor is something around 400 GBP. This is from my distant memory, so I cant be sure. Time frames is difficult to say, but from the start to the end, you should give yourelf 6 months time. You have more than a year in hand, so you should be fine. Good Luck

hashmil
Sri Lanka

Post by hashmil » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks a lot for the response! This just makes me feel so much more better. As a lot of people keep saying so many scary stories, and I guess I will just have to first find a company that's in the Sponsor register or find someone who is willing to :)

Thanks again. Will do my best to post updates on how things goes, and if successful do my best share the knowledge with anyone else too :)
Sheffield_Marketeer wrote:Any company is able to employ you now because you have a PSW visa, which is valid until Oct 2012. if they are not registered, they can apply to become registered in the sponsor list and then sponsor you, as long as they are willing to do the same.

As long as you
1. work for a min of 6 months with them
2. earn atleast or more than what's required of you
3. your job title matches or is as close to the one in the code of practice,
you should be able to get a Cos easily

Pls note that the limit of 20,700 applies to people entering the country and not people who are applying from within the UK.

As far as I know, the cost of being within the register of sponsor is something around 400 GBP. This is from my distant memory, so I cant be sure. Time frames is difficult to say, but from the start to the end, you should give yourelf 6 months time. You have more than a year in hand, so you should be fine. Good Luck