ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I switch from Tier 1 Dependant

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abiodua
Newly Registered

Can I switch from Tier 1 Dependant

Post by abiodua » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:57 am

Good Day everyone

Please can anyone help me out with my question

please i want to know if it is possible to switch from Tier 1 general dependant to any other category.

The reason being that I'm the dependant but i have a better job than my spouse on whose visa we can renew our stay in the UK.

Please any clue on what i can do. We do some little business of sending stuffs back home but i don't know how to use the company stuff to beef up earnings that is why i'm thinking of switching visa category.

Any input will be highly appreciated

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:10 pm

No, you'll have to make a fresh application outside the UK.

lamzat
Newly Registered

Post by lamzat » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:21 pm

But why do you want to change your status when you can still do all thats required under your present status, except for personal ego, its not necessary. Your present income will make the journey easier.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:12 pm

abiodua, I agree with lamzat. Simply, why? Where is the advantage in switching?
John

abiodua
Newly Registered

Post by abiodua » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 pm

@mulderpf
Thanks for the clarification

@lamzat
It is not a case of personal Ego but looking for other options

@John
Thanks also for showing concern but the true picture of things is what i have stated below and i'll greatly appreciate your inputs

I came to the UK with my family on the Tier 1 general Visa, my wife is the main applicant while i came in as the dependant.
My wife is a biomedical scientist and hasn't been able to get a job firstly because registering with the HPC took about 9months and secondly due largely to the cuts in the NHS but has been working as a volunteer.

On the other hand i was able to get a permanent job in a good company within 7months and i earn about £30k rising to £35k with shift premium and overtime and i have also finished my Msc wetin our short stay in UK. Our visa is due to expire dec 2012 but another thing now is that my wife is carrying our baby which is due first quarter next year which makes looking for another job a little bit difficult

that is the reason i thought of switching visa so that i will have my wife and daughter as dependants because i want to take the pressure off her.

We also do some transaction by sending some things to our home country for sell but i'm not too clear on how to open the company and allocating shares so as to reduce the tax a little bit because it is not like we make huge profit from sending goods to our home country but like you have all stated it shows been on Tier 1 is better than the Tier 2 and someone told me Tier 2 no longer leads to settlement but not sure how true it is but i have not seen anything like that.

Please I'll greatly appreciate any advice from you. Just doing this at least to be on the alert instead of waiting till the last minute.

Thanks and hope to get a feedback.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:23 am

With Tier 1 (General) closed, your only option is Tier 2 - if your employer can sponsor you.

But you cannot switch from dependant to main migrant. The change must be done from outside the UK.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

abiodua
Newly Registered

Post by abiodua » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:45 am

sushdmehta wrote:With Tier 1 (General) closed, your only option is Tier 2 - if your employer can sponsor you.

But you cannot switch from dependant to main migrant. The change must be done from outside the UK.
Thanks but does Tier 2 still count towards ILR and settlement?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:56 am

As on date, Tier 2 (General) is one of the eligible categories leading to settlement.

No one can tell you today if it will remain so in future or not.

Also note that the time you have lived in UK as a dependant will not contribute to your qualifying residential period when you apply for settlement as an economic migrant.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!