ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Paying by Bankers Draft for ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

luke79

Paying by Bankers Draft for ILR

Post by luke79 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:51 pm

I have got a bankers draft for £972, ready to go with the set m application..

Couple of questions

q1 - Since bankers draft is a guaranteed cheque , is it a requirement to put the bankers draft number , sort code and account number from the draft directly on the payment form, under the heading which says "paying by cheque..." - or is that info needed for the general cheques only ?

q2 - Are you meant to write anything on the back of the draft, doesnt seem to say so for drafts, but it does for cheques, e.g name, dob nationality etc..

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Q1 Yes to the first part of what is a two part question.
Q2 I would and this is not about payment ; it links the draft to your application if the caseworker drops your file on the floor.
Last edited by Lucapooka on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:04 pm

I would say, treat it like a cheque, which indeed it is, albeit a special sort of cheque, one that will definitely clear (assuming it is a real bankers draft and not a fake).
John

luke79

Post by luke79 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks mate

Wish they would make these things clear - its so stressful applying as it is !

I wasnt going to write anything in the cheque details section of the payment form, becuase above it, it says , please tick if paying by cheque - and then on the far write a box for bankers draft

then drectly beneath it says - if paying by cheque, please enter cheque number - sort code - account number

this gives an impression, it needs to be left blank if payment is a bankers draft ..

luke79

Post by luke79 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:09 pm

John wrote:I would say, treat it like a cheque, which indeed it is, albeit a special sort of cheque, one that will definitely clear (assuming it is a real bankers draft and not a fake).
John if I treat it like a cheque would it be fair to say to remain consistent and write the details of my wife who's applying for the ILR on the back of it, like it instructs for cheque payments ?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:17 pm

I would say yes, treat it like a cheque!
John

luke79

Post by luke79 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks will do,

so details to be written on the back of the draft it is then and cheque details to be filled in on the payment form..

These forums are a godsend ! Bless you all..

adamboston

Post by adamboston » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:28 am

Luke79

John and Lucapooka are absolutely spot on.

Just to add my own experience; when I applied for ILR, in July, I ticked banker's draft box and where it asks for cheque details (cheque no, accont no and sort code) I added an additional note; Banker's Draft details are as below and then I filled the cheque section.

The draft was payable to the 'Home Office' and I did write my name, dob and my nationality on the back of the draft. I sent 2 drafts; one for myself and other for my wife. It's been nearly 9 weeks we've sent our applications and so far heard nothing from the UKBA, assuming everything is fine.

Lucapooka is right what if UKBA staff lose the bankers draft and as John said treat it as a cheque. Banker's draft is as good as cash and losing it also means the same. Please don't forget to keep a photocopy of it.

Good Luck mate.
Adam

'To me no human is alien - but to some no aliens are human'.

Zed80
Newly Registered

Can payment for ilr be made using someone else's cheque?

Post by Zed80 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi all,

We're about to apply for my husband's ilr and are making the last checks befire posting.

As we don't have a debit/credit card or cheque book, my mum will be writing the cheque for us and this may be a silly question but is this ok? Do we need to put anything in writing to state that my mum wrote the cheque on behalf of my husband? We're just trying to cover every aspect as much as we can in order not to delay the decision process by the requirement of further documents (as much as possible).

Another question I have is, is it compulsory to include a NHS card in the application as proof of address? My husband has just registered at the local gp and still have not received his NHS card - it's been a week!

I thank you in advance for your time and reply.

zahid.ali.anwar
Member of Standing

Re: Can payment for ilr be made using someone else's cheque?

Post by zahid.ali.anwar » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:49 am

Zed80 wrote:Do we need to put anything in writing to state that my mum wrote the cheque on behalf of my husband?

Another question I have is, is it compulsory to include a NHS card in the application as proof of address?
1. You don't need to mention who wrote the cheque. As long as it is a real and cashable cheque.

2. It is not mandatory to send the NHS card for proof of address. It is one of the document that CAN be submitted as a proof of address. So If you have other documents that can prove your address, you don't need to send this card.
The question is... to be or not to be....

Zed80
Newly Registered

Post by Zed80 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:55 am

Thanks very much for your advice Zahid.

Take care.

ruskcake

Post by ruskcake » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:13 am

Make sure you keep a photocopy of the cheque before you post it off!!

Zed80
Newly Registered

Post by Zed80 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:21 am

Hi,

I took a photocopy of the cheque. :)

Thanks!

Happy new year.