ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage in Albania and spouse visa questions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Hannah/Bledi
Newly Registered

Marriage in Albania and spouse visa questions

Post by Hannah/Bledi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi,
I'm new to this forum so hope I'm not repeating any posts.

I am a British Citizen. Me and my Albanian fiancé plan to get married in Albania in August and shortly after will apply for a spouse visa for him.
We are both over 21 so age isn't an issue.

However, we both met whilst he was illegally in Greece almost 3 years ago and have recently been denied a visit visa for this reason. I was wondering if this would affect our spouse application?

I understand that a spouse visa is not affected by people that have lived illegally in the UK, although I can't find anything about people being illegally elsewhere in the world.

We were living together whilst in Greece but have no proof of this as Greek landlords work more on a cash-in-hand basis. Would stating this have any affect on the visa decision?

Also, I have been looking at the documents we need to get married and cannot find any information on documents that I might need to obtain my CNI from the registry office in the UK. Is anyone aware of what documents are needed?

Any information and help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Diamond
Newly Registered

Post by Diamond » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi, i got married last year to my Albanian boyfriend, not in Alabnia but in the Albanian embassy in Greece. The things i needed to get were
1) certificate of no impediment
2) full birth certificate
3) certified copy of bio data page from passport.
The ceritificate of no impediment and birth certificate are from your local registrars office, they then have to be legalised with the apostle stamp. You can get this done in Milton Keynes at a counter service, im not sure if you can post them.
I wasn't told i would need the certified copy of the passport but when we got there they wanted one, luckily we had one for the visa application.

I'm assuming you haven't been married before? this is based on my own experience. As for your queries regarding your partners illegal stay in Greece that will not be a problem for a spouse visa.

Just make sure you have lots of evidence of your relationship including photos, letters, cards, phone calls, flight boarding cards and anything else you can think of, i cannot stress how important that is.

And ensure you cover the maintenance and accomodation aspect of the settlement visa fully.

Hannah/Bledi
Newly Registered

Post by Hannah/Bledi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:51 pm

Thank you so much for your quick reply.
I'm guessing you've got all your visas sorted now?
No, I've not been married before.
We've been collecting evidence for a while now, so hopefully it will be enough. Is there such a thing as overkill though?
Also, to collect your Certificate of No Impediment did you need any of your partners documents / copy of passport / birth certificate etc. or just your own documents?
Thank you again

Diamond
Newly Registered

Post by Diamond » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:47 pm

No i didn't need any of my partners documents.
As for evidence of the relationship i definitley don't believe in overkill!
Unfortunatley we are still sorting our evidence for the visa, first was refused. We had no idea of the amount we should have included, so definitley better to have too much than too little! Fingers crossed though later this year everything will be sorted.

Im not sure about what needs to be done in Albania though sorry, hopefully your partner will have some idea as my partners family sorted all that for us.

Good luck.

Diamond
Newly Registered

Post by Diamond » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Just a quick note though, if you get in touch with your local registry office; you may have to book an appointment, but they will tell you what you need. I needed my passport, birth certificate and proof of address. They also wanted to know the address of where we were getting married, but because we weren't sure at the time we just said the city we were marrying in and the country and we had no problems with that.

It's also a good idea to get a duplicate copy of your birth certificate to use from the registry office as they will keep it when you get married.

Check the website for the Milton Keynes legislation office to be sure, its quite informative but i dont remember taking any extra documents with me, they are only checking that the signatures and information on the certificates are genuine and then stamping them, they check from their own database.

aa123

Post by aa123 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Documents to marry in albania is the same as the documents diamond used to get married in greece,but everything needs to be translated to albanian.

aa123

Post by aa123 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:29 pm

Diamond wrote:No i didn't need any of my partners documents.
As for evidence of the relationship i definitley don't believe in overkill!
Unfortunatley we are still sorting our evidence for the visa, first was refused. We had no idea of the amount we should have included, so definitley better to have too much than too little! Fingers crossed though later this year everything will be sorted.

Im not sure about what needs to be done in Albania though sorry, hopefully your partner will have some idea as my partners family sorted all that for us.

Good luck.
Sorry are you not appealing the refusal of the first visa?

Diamond
Newly Registered

Post by Diamond » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:35 pm

aa123 wrote: Sorry are you not appealing the refusal of the first visa?
We were unlikely to win on appeal because we had no new evidence to provide and there was an issue with the income that we didn't not think was going to be a problem. However since the refusal we have spent hours searching for information and are much more aware of everything now so we plan to reapply and make sure we don't leave anything to chance this time.

PAJOVE
Newly Registered

Post by PAJOVE » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi,
I married my partner in Albania last moth.

I got my CNI from the local regestery office (you need yr partners full address).
my full birth certificate (parents names and occupation)
then got the legalisd in Milton Keynes ( £30 each)
Then i went to the Albanian embasy in London and got them translated (£9 each via postal order).

The registery office in Albania wanted these docs 2 weeks before we married, i was luck enough for them to accept a faxed copy and give the originals once out there.

I highly recommend a solicitor to help you with his visa application(i got one with legal aid).
Its not easy, I had to gather the following evidence:

Cards to each other (birthday, christmas ext)
Photos of us together
Bills in both names
Letters of support fom my family and friends
3 moths bank statments showing available funs and o use of over draft
pay slips for 6 months
Phone bills and emails to each othr ince he left the UK
Marraige certificate (they will give you as many as you ask for out there)
I had a agent come to the house and estimate the size for living purposes (the council also do this free - housing section)
Letter from somone offering employment upon his return
any othr evidience in both names - wedding/birthday invitations, holiday confirmation ext.

Its a hard process so i wish you luck. I have ben without my partner now since Feb. It kills me every day so I fly back out to tirana on the 23rd June. Im taking all the above out to him and we'l apply immediatly (I had to wait for bank statments in credit)

Just a pre warning, because of my husbands negitive immigration history (Illegal status) My solicitor thinks we'l be declied and will have to appeal. Be strong...

Keep copies of you flight tickets and never ever delete or chuck away any thing that has both yr names on it. No matter how small.

Let m know how you get on.

Hannah/Bledi
Newly Registered

Post by Hannah/Bledi » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:53 am

We went to the British Embassy in Tirana yesterday and they have given us an interview date for the 25th October. It seems so far away.

Anyway, they have asked us to bring additional documents but we are confused because all the documents they have asked for we have already supplied in the application.

They have asked for:

"Evidence of your relationship with your sponsor over as long a period of time as possible. For example, photographs / correspondence / joint bills / joint tenancy agreements / entry and exit visas with copies of all pages of the passport.

Recent evidence of your / your sponsor's financial means in the UK or those of any other person offering sponsorship. Please submit itemised bank statements covering a period of at least three months.

Evidence of your / your sponsor's employment and income."

We both feel we already fully covered all of these points in our application folder and are wondering if the officer hasn't looked at everything?

Has anyone had an interview? Any idea what they might be looking for?

Yesterday was awful, we saw everybody coming out of their interviews at the embassy and every single application had been rejected.

PAJOVE
Newly Registered

Post by PAJOVE » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi Hannah, I really feel for you. I have been with out my husband since Feb when he got deported back to Albania.

We married in April in Albania and Applied for his Visa in May, He had his interview in August and got declined the next day. They Declined my husband because he was living in the UK illegaly previously and lied about his country of residence previously also.

Hopefuly your husband does not have the same back ground as mine.

Its a long hard fight, we are appealing and waiting for the Appeal date which could take until Jan 2012.

Take everything to the Interview. My husband submitted his Visa application on the internet so they never had our documents. However bow to their every comand and take everything you have.

If I can help any further let me know.. Good Luck

aa123

Post by aa123 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:05 pm

But that letter they give is standard, they normally tick which ones they require.

Hannah/Bledi
Newly Registered

Post by Hannah/Bledi » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:39 pm

aa123 wrote:But that letter they give is standard, they normally tick which ones they require.
We figured as much. The ones I have listed earlier are the top three on the list we have been given. They ticked them three. We just don't see why they want us to bring these because everything was supplied in the original application folder. But I suppose we just have to go along with it like Pavoje said.

I was just wondering if anyone has had an interview in Tirana and was told to bring extra documents. What were they looking for and how was the interview conducted?

Pavoje, have you been advised to appeal in the UK or in Tirana?

Thank you for all your help guys. We are both just in full panic mode now ... but at least I can stay here in Albania with him until the interview.

PAJOVE
Newly Registered

Post by PAJOVE » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:21 pm

My husband was told to take documents from in-between the application and the interview, so my moat recent bank statement, most recent pay slip and most recent phone bill.

The interview was basic - where did we meet and how. Where we lived, when did we move into together. It's a really easy interview. Nothing to worry about Hannah.

My solicitor has appealed to the tribunaral who inturn has send it to Tirana to decide if they want to overturn their original decision or if they want me to attend court.

I have a good solicitor, however it's going to be a hard fight. One way or another I'll never give up.

I'm visiting Albania next week and will be staying in Tirana for a few days, thinking of visiting the Embasy myself to see if I can help matters along.

Hannah keep smiling. No one can jeep true love separated forever, they can test it's strength by pro longing the reunion but it wount be long before Albania join the EU in my eyes anyway.

Let me know how you get on. It's good to talk to people who are going through the same. If your husband gets his visa it will give me a little more hope for our case abs if he doesn't I can help you with a little advice.

aa123

Post by aa123 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:53 pm

i have done an appeal before and we won, so hope that gives you some hope.
There is no point visiting the embassy they wont let you in anyway without an appointment.

Hannah/Bledi
Newly Registered

Post by Hannah/Bledi » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:40 am

Pajove, thanks. It is really good to hear from people going through the same thing.
I will keep you updated.
a1234 is right though, we saw lots of people going to the embassy for information and they only get to talk to a security officer on the front booth who doesn't really know anything.
Good luck and enjoy your stay in Albania. Where does your husband stay in Albania?

Hannah/Bledi
Newly Registered

Post by Hannah/Bledi » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:17 am

Thank you to everyone on this forum.
We went to the embassy on Tuesday for the interview. Only my husband was allowed inside (as is the case in Albania) and the interview lasted only about 15 minutes. He was then told to come back at half 3 that day for the answer. At half 3 his passport was ready to collect with the visa start date from that day!
We are so excited. Thank you again everyone.

pepa

Post by pepa » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Please can anybody give me some advice???

My husband is Albanian visa refused as we didnt not have an accomadation report and because of finances (even though we did have them)!

Have 7 days to decide to appeal or to reapply - though i was going to re-apply - but now im not so sure!

Anyone going through the same thing i would really appreciate it if you could give me any advice!

aa123

Post by aa123 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:16 pm

You should appeal and reapply at the same time.

pepa

Post by pepa » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Yeah well thats what i thought but my lawyer said you cant do that!

You can only do it if you apply for a different type of visa (like a dependent visa etc) :-)

aa123

Post by aa123 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:04 pm

When we did appeal at the time my lawyer advised to appeal and re apply at the same time.
Maybe someone on this forum can clarify, as rules change all the time.
I will try and find out too.

pepa

Post by pepa » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:42 pm

Yeah thanks - il have to look into it asap because we only have till the 7th to appeal!

Have you been to an appeal before???

diehard

Post by diehard » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:45 pm

aa123 wrote:When we did appeal at the time my lawyer advised to appeal and re apply at the same time.
Maybe someone on this forum can clarify, as rules change all the time.
I will try and find out too.

Yes you can surely appeal and make a new application at the same time

pepa

Post by pepa » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:43 pm

I have looked into this more - we can only apply and appeal at the same time of we apply for a different visa category :-)

pepa

Help!

Post by pepa » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Just searching for abit of help and advice again please!

Re-applying at the end of February for my husbands visa (first one was refused in Novemeber)!

Reason for refusals were finance (me not working mainly as i was living in Albania) and Accomadation (not having and independent accomadation inspection)!

So my queries are -

Finance - I am working now and by the end of Feb I will have 4 wages slips - The only problem is the first 3 months are on self-employed (but i will have the proof of registering to pay tax) The contract though is with the same employer - will it be accepted having the first 3 months as self-employed?

Also i have my wage slips and time sheets etc to proove how many hours i work a week which is pretty much the same and always 37 hours or over - If my contract is only for 27 hours will they only be interested in the contracted hours?

Accomadtion - we have accomadation with my parents at the rented property and I have never lived anywere else in England other then my parents. We have plenty of room here but the rent agreement runs out in June and we dont know if we will keep this house or move, either way myself and my husband will stay with them. Im worried that the the eco will not be satisfied if with the rent running out - does anyone think this will be a problem? (I do have the last 3 years of council tax statements to provide to show how long we have lived here for!

Also we got most of our papers back from the Embassy but the rent agreement was one we did not! Would a letter for the landlord be enough?

Does anyone know what is acceptable for a property inspection? Have been on to my local council but they do not and will not do one!

A few other things - we got married in Albania, and i would of assumed that our marriage certificate was valid forever but according to the authoritys in Albania there only valid for 6 months! So to be on the safe side I was going to get the papers produced again but does it matter if its not the original as long as its a proper copy?

And im sure there was something else but i cant remember now!!!

Really appreciate the help :-)